Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What kind of priming sugar do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
alexavery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What kind of priming sugar do you use?

I'm still very new to this. I'm wondering what most people use for priming sugar. I will use whatever came in my Midwest recipe kit. I assume this is household cane sugar. What do you all use?

I've seen that the kits at northern brewer can be upgraded to corn sugar. What's the benefit of doing that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

dextrose of corn sugar is best to prime with. ive used cane sugar before to prime and the results are incosistent, plus from what i noticed, i always had a weird twangy off flavor from the cane sugar. id use dextrose.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
elkchsr
Recipes 

Does anybody prime by using unfermented wort?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexavery View Post
I'm still very new to this. I'm wondering what most people use for priming sugar. I will use whatever came in my Midwest recipe kit. I assume this is household cane sugar. What do you all use?

I've seen that the kits at northern brewer can be upgraded to corn sugar. What's the benefit of doing that?
Almost none. There's no taste difference, and they'll both carbonate just fine. Cane sugar works fine if you measure it by weight (you need a little less weight than with dextrose aka corn sugar).

The only advantage is that if you don't have a scale, you know you're getting 5oz of dextrose in that bag. Measuring sugar by volume is going to give you inconsistent results.

But you should really get a scale anyway for measuring out other ingredients. The $30 escala is great for a really easy digital scale, or if you're going on the super-cheap you can usually find a spring scale at the dollar store (works fine, but no tare function).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchsr View Post
Some people prime with DME (sanitized and dissolved in hot water), which I guess is a very concentrated unfermented wort.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchsr View Post
If you're talking about Kraeusening, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done this. It seems like an unnecessary PITA, but interesting none the less.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

OP: If it's a Midwest recipe kit, that little bag of sugar is corn sugar, not cane sugar.

I'm inclined to agree with brewmasterpodunkarizona here, and disagree with SumnerH. I think corn sugar gives much more consistant results, and leaves less of an aftertaste than corn sugar. There's a reason why every online HBS sells recipe kits with corn sugar, and not table sugar.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
alexavery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks everyone. I'll stick to the kit sugar for now while I try to get the hang of this awesome new hobby

Old 03-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
ericm
Recipes 

I've never noticed a taste difference between corn and cane sugar when used for priming. it's such a small amount I don't see how it could really affect the flavor...

if you measure by weight (and use the correct amount for how much CO2 you want, less cane sugar is required because it has a slightly higher extract yield) and thoroughly mix the boiled/cooled sugar solution with the wort you shouldn't have any issues with inconsistency regardless of what sugar you use to prime.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

thanks llama, its good to know that atleast somebody on here isnt trying to find a way to discredit me. afterall, ive only been doing this for....oh longer than hbt beens around.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Quick Reply