New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what kind of beer should I make? Here's what I got....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks good! Based on the OG that DeRoux posted, you'll be at ~5% ABV. You'll definitely have a dark ale with that Dried Malt Extract (DME) you've got. White Labs liquid yeast is all I use, so I think you're off to a good start.

If you are really looking to boost the ABV, then you might want to consider adding some adjuct fermentables; easily found at your grocery store. You could use honey or, one of my personal favorites, Turbinado Sugar . One pound of either during the last 15-20 mins. or so of the boil will do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
pop_shots
Recipes 

what's up guys, thanks for all your replies. I find it very interesting that you all think the DME will be fine, because people over at this site in this thread I made located here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/What_Kind_Of_Beer_Should_I_Brewl_Here_s_What_I_Got-t8710.html
did nothing but whine about it. ><

they told me that the DME wouldn't work too well. /shrug, I planned on using munich/wheat malt grains as the main base and adding a small percentage of my 3lb Dark Dunston's DME to it just to give it a nice darker hue and hopefully better flavor.

PS- Oh, and as for the sugars, I went ahead and got 2 bags of this 5.00 a bag belgian cubed sugar. I grabbed Dark, and Amber...(not a pale guy ><)

Today I spent a good 2 and a half hours at Lowes with the guy who worked at Plumbing. He asked me what the hell I was doin with all the copper tubing, I told him it was for homebrewing and he showed great interest in beer, so I figured he drank. (was making a copper manifold for my homemade masher,)I told him if he wrote down his home info, I'd mail him a sixpack, just to give him a lil extra motivation to help me out..lol. (im not gonna mail em to him, but i really will drive him over a sixer for his help...he spent some serious time helping me cut pipe, he even made the notches i wanted, like 40 notches) So yeah, the guy pretty much busted his ass helping me out, I got a decent looking manifold that I think will work pretty well.. Tommarrow bright and early I'll be off to the brewshop again for Bottles, a hand capper, caps, wax pellets for the bottles, airlocks for my fermentors, and that pretty much does it. I may pick up some more malts, specifically some dark roasted grains, and maybe some other specialty flavoring grains if they have em at this new place im goin to. Later all!

Last edited by pop_shots; 01-27-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:16 AM   #13
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

one good way to make friends. good tact!!!

Rhoobarb, i like Turbinado Sugar in my boston butt, rib, and brisket rubs too!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply