Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   what kind of beer should I make? Here's what I got.... (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what-kind-beer-should-i-make-heres-what-i-got-5331/)

pop_shots 01-27-2006 02:21 AM

what kind of beer should I make? Here's what I got....
 
Alright first of all I'd like to say I like the site!

Moving on...I decided to get my foot in the door, unfortunately the closest brew shop was somewhat limited. My aim is a dark brew, around 7-8% alcohol, with chocolate/caramel/raisin/plum/woody notes, of course I know I won't achieve this with my first brew, and am prepared for the worst. I will now give a list of the following ingredients I've purchased from the nearby homebrew shop.. (which was actually a hardware store, with a tiny 'brew shop' area to give you an idea of how limited it was)

pretty big pack of 'sprayed' dark malt extract (looked like powder)
4 lbs munich malt, which went through a grinder they had there
2 lbs of chocolate malt, which went through a grinder they had there
2 lbs of wheat malt, which went through a grinder they had there
2 lbs of crystal malt, which went through a grinder they had there

their extract choices were very limited, all they had were these White Labs Pitchable Liquid Yeast extracts...I grabbed 1 of each, they had German ale/Kosch ale yeast, and English Ale yeast. so, what kind of beer should I make? thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Beer Snob 01-27-2006 03:57 AM

Hey there! Welcome! Yeah I started out buying things from just a small section of a liquir store many years ago:) Sometimes you know the limited amount of supplies for somoene just starting out is actualy a relief:)

Couple of questions....
Are you mashing? Crystal and chocolate I know is fine not to mash, but I dont know about the wheat and munich....

What hops did you get and how much?

Did you get an equipment kit?

pop_shots 01-27-2006 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
Hey there! Welcome! Yeah I started out buying things from just a small section of a liquir store many years ago:) Sometimes you know the limited amount of supplies for somoene just starting out is actualy a relief:)

Couple of questions....
Are you mashing? Crystal and chocolate I know is fine not to mash, but I dont know about the wheat and munich....

What hops did you get and how much?

Did you get an equipment kit?

Sorry about not adding which hops I got!!!

I picked up Perle, Liberty,Saaz, abd Tettnang. all were pellet form except the saaz.

i have no masher, although I put all the grain through a hand operated grinding-type machine which was there at the little brew shop before purchasing the grain. still reading up on everything, thanks for the reply!

DeRoux's Broux 01-27-2006 04:27 AM

i'd use 4 lbs of the extract, 1 lb munich, 1 lb crystal, .5 lb wheat, 2 oz chocolate,
.75 oz perle at 60 min, .5 oz tettnang at 15 min, and .5 oz tettnang at 0 min. use the German Ale/Kolsch yeast. and follow these instructions:
http://www.defalcos.com/recipesbeer2.htm

probably be pretty good.

DeRoux's Broux 01-27-2006 04:30 AM

here's your numbers based on that recipe:
Original Gravity 1.049
IBU's (bitterness) 33.4
SRM (color) 18.3

pop_shots 01-27-2006 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
i'd use 4 lbs of the extract, 1 lb munich, 1 lb crystal, .5 lb wheat, 2 oz chocolate,
.75 oz perle at 60 min, .5 oz tettnang at 15 min, and .5 oz tettnang at 0 min. use the German Ale/Kolsch yeast. and follow these instructions:
http://www.defalcos.com/recipesbeer2.htm

probably be pretty good.

cheers, and thanks from your eastern neighbor (I live in baton rouge)

pop_shots 01-27-2006 04:58 AM

i don't have any of the bru-vigor, is that necessary

Darth Konvel 01-27-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop_shots
i don't have any of the bru-vigor, is that necessary

Having no idea what that is, I'd so no ;)

El Pistolero 01-27-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop_shots
i don't have any of the bru-vigor, is that necessary

Bru-Vigor is yeast nutrient...if you don't have it then don't worry about it. It's not absolutely necessary.

DeRoux's Broux 01-27-2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop_shots
cheers, and thanks from your eastern neighbor (I live in baton rouge)

cool! my brother used to live on the east side of baton rouge south of i-12.
bru-vigor is just yeast nutrient. no biggie ifyou don't have it. just helps, especially if you don't make starters.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.