Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the key to making a thick black stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
brad26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the key to making a thick black stout?

When I pour my favorite imperial stout, like Founders Breakfast Stout or Stone Russian Imperial Stout, and all I see coming out of the bottle is what I can only describe as an oil-like substance, how do I achieve that? Is it specialty grains that add body or specialty grains that add dark color? Or is it a combination of both? I recently made an oatmeal imperial stout and the color left me a little disappointed because it wasn't as dark or thick as I was hoping. Here is my recipe:

9.00 lbs extra light LME
1.5 lbs Pale Malt 2-Row
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain

The final gravity was only 1.035 (which was probably due to me not using enough 2-row malt) so I had to keg it, but it was still kind of thin. Any suggestions on how to make a more thick and black imperial stout? Or is the problem simply that I didn't reach my target final gravity and the alcohol adds to the color and mouthfeel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You can add malto dextrin to the keg. It will add body and not much else. With your recipe I'd think more 2-row to convert more flaked barley would be all you need to add more body. With a FG that high I think you might also want to add some sugar, but there is some contradiction to that. With two pounds of dark malt I don't know how you could need more color. Maybe add a touch of Roasted barley.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Babylon
Recipes 

with that as your OG that stout you made was not imperial. I used molasses in mine, which gave me great results, but not everyone likes a molasses taste.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Too much BP for my liking.
Are you doing a 5 or 10 gallon brew?

I'd use some roast as was suggested to bump up the colour if it is 10 gallon. And you could always use sinimar.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you didn't mash the flaked oats and barley, then you might as well not have added them. I want to brew the Founder's Breakfast Stout clone I have but since it calls for 22 oz. of flaked oats, I will be looking to do my first partial mash!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5371 Times on 5229 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I recently brewed a RIS. Not with extract, but you can see basically the ratios I used in my recipe. It came out strikingly similar to Old Rasputin, it's black as night, and has amazing body.

17 lbs. 2-row
1.5 roasted barley
1.0 special b
0.75 chocolate malt
0.5 cara-pils
4 oz challenger @ 60
2 oz EKG @ 30
WLP002

Just shy of 5 gallons, OG 1.106, FG 1.028. 87 IBU, 51 SRM.

I love the Founders offerings and Old Rasputin, so this is my favorite beer I've brewed to date. Already planning on brewing it again this winter so I can give the next batch a full year of aging before tapping into it.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1.035 FG? That sounds pretty damn thick and viscous to me. I'm not sure how you could call a beer with that high of a final gravity thin.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
brad26
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I recently brewed a RIS. Not with extract, but you can see basically the ratios I used in my recipe. It came out strikingly similar to Old Rasputin, it's black as night, and has amazing body.

17 lbs. 2-row
1.5 roasted barley
1.0 special b
0.75 chocolate malt
0.5 cara-pils
4 oz challenger @ 60
2 oz EKG @ 30
WLP002

Just shy of 5 gallons, OG 1.106, FG 1.028. 87 IBU, 51 SRM.

I love the Founders offerings and Old Rasputin, so this is my favorite beer I've brewed to date. Already planning on brewing it again this winter so I can give the next batch a full year of aging before tapping into it.
Just curious, how much wort do you have when you brew this recipe? I would like to brew something like this but only have a 10 gallon brew kettle. I batch sparge so with such a high gravity brew I would have to boil more than 10 gallons of wort to get good efficiency. Are there other methods of sparging that yield less gallons of wort but still get good efficiency or do I just need a bigger brew kettle and have to boil for a really long time?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
brad26
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread23 View Post
1.035 FG? That sounds pretty damn thick and viscous to me. I'm not sure how you could call a beer with that high of a final gravity thin.
That's what I was thinking too, but I kegged it and had some yesterday and it was just not what I was hoping for, maybe I'm just expecting too much from it.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad26 View Post
That's what I was thinking too, but I kegged it and had some yesterday and it was just not what I was hoping for, maybe I'm just expecting too much from it.
What was your starting gravity? I suppose if it was really high as well and you ended up with a high attenuation level (above 80% or so) that it could feel a little thin when considering the high amount of alcohol. I think a high level of carbonation could also leave it feeling a bit too thin.

Quick Reply