Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what the heck is that?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
akimbo78
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default what the heck is that?

my first batch ever. a milk stout with chocolate and vanilla. when i opened the bucket after a week to check the gravity, i was eye to eye with this. i was a bit panicky during the brewing process because i lost power (hurricane Irene) in the middle of the boil, so many mistakes could have been made. that thing floating on top was probably 1/8 inch thick, crusty, and would break apart and sink when disturbed. i have moved it to a secondary, so i could start another batch with no modifications or complications. the smell was fine and it tasted quite good, which leads me to believe its ok, i was just wondering what the heck was on top.

2011-09-03_20-27-44_555.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to HBT!

Looks like normal krausen to me. Let it sit another two weeks, then take gravity readings to find out if fermentation is done.

RDWHAHB!

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's proably a reaction between the krausen and the fats in the chocolate you added to make the chocolate stout.

Does it smell/taste bad? Fermentation is ugly even on good days, so just looking at something tells you nothing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With that lighting it almost looks like an omlette floating on top of your beer. But I'm going to go ahead and guess you didn't dump your breakfast in the fermenter and say it looks like a bunch of flocculated yeast, hop matter, and other stuff in a krausen that hasn't yet sunk to the bottom.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
akimbo78

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so the move to the secondary was most likely a mistake?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Without a gravity reading it would be hard to know whether or not your fermentation had completed before racking it over to a secondary. Even if there are still sugars in there some yeast will get over in to the secondary as well and some bit of fermentation will continue. You might end up with a bit sweeter of a beer than you were expecting.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
akimbo78

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OG was 1.06. the reading at racking was 1.025. i was going to let it sit out the week and take another reading. if it hadn't moved i was planning on bottling this weekend.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
akimbo78

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

an update for anyone who cares. it finished at 1.025, probably because of the lactose. i have bottled it...

Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Das ist bier or a septic tank... did you use lactose? I just finished up a milk stout and did have anything like that but as everyone says each fermentation is different. I would close it up and give it 3 weeks to settle and clear.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks like something yummy being made there

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Quick Reply