Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What have I done to myself?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #11
BrewKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I completely agree as well with all the comments. I'm just 5 brews in since starting and have already gone to AG and keep going by my LHBS to keep buying more stuff. I just bought 2 more additional fermenters and some other necessities this weekend so I could start making more brews instead of waiting for one to finish. If there was anything else I'd buy it would be a kegging system and maybe a steel fermenter. Those things are kinda nifty! Other than that, I'm happy with what I've got. And I'm happy as ever with the hobby/obsession

Primary:

Secondary:

Whiskey Barrel: Russian Imperial Stout

Bottled:Amber Ale, Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Drank/Gone: Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
Hulud
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 7

where in marietta do you live? pm me if you dont want it out here

i grew up there and still work there

Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Im right behind Blackwell elementary off of Canton rd.

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

What I love about the hobby, besides the beer, is the creative flexibility. While the processes change very little, the end results can be amazingly different and so can the brewers. One guy swears by this way and another swears by that way. Some brewers are anal about following recipes and measurements exactly, while others fly by the seat of their pants and just throw stuff in willy-nilly. Some brew to exact styles and others fuse and blend. Some monkey with their beer constantly but others dial in a batch and make it exactly the same over and over. There's lots of room for personality and expressing yourself in your brew.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 772 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 261

While there is a lot of items just begging to be bought to make your brewing hobby more exciting, there actually very little that you **NEED** to brew beer. A pot to boil in and a sanitary fermenter will be about the minimum. Everything else is just a want.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I get it. I have been at it for a month but already have two brews in bottles. I also now have 4 fermenters (all of them full as we speak) and have already moved to BIAB partial mash brewing. Anytime I look at NB's website I see loads of things I want (and that doesn't even include my want for a chest freezer and controller so that I can brew lagers). It's a bit lucky that I took this up around Christmas because I can finally answer the question: "What do you want for Christmas?"

Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
While there is a lot of items just begging to be bought to make your brewing hobby more exciting, there actually very little that you **NEED** to brew beer. A pot to boil in and a sanitary fermenter will be about the minimum. Everything else is just a want.
Not true at all! A damnable lie!

"I NEEEEEEEEEEED a really nice new shiny conical fermenter with temperature control and all the bells and whistles. Yes, I do! Don't look at me that way. Honey? Think of it as an investment in great beer. Our daughter probably won't get into an expensive college anyways. Honey?"

Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

I only need a few more odds-n-ends at this point. Like a jet bottle washer,build a dual coil wort chiller so one end can be in a small pail of ice water before going into the hot wort. And a cart of some kind so I can get heavy BK's,water,etc from the kitchen to the man cave where my fermenter stand is.
I've got 2 FV's,bottling bucket,bottle tree & vinator,etc. Enough stuff for both of us to brew at the same time. I also have enough SS stock pots to do partial mash/partial boil that's been working out pretty good so far.
Maybe just a digital temp probe of some kind &...&...&...!!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I think eventually you peak in terms of need for toys and gear (maybe not necessarily for recipes or ingredients or types of beer to brew.)
Agreed. I also think it's related to your own brewing philosophy. For some folks the automated E-HERMS system with the iPad remote control interface is their ultimate dream--brew while you're at work! For me, I like to keep things as simple as I can, if someone gave me a $10,000 brew setup I'd sell it and buy a VW bus.

I think some folks tend to get caught up in the idea that "if I just get that next piece of equipment, then I'll really be able to brew great beer!" To me, that's missing the point--YOU are the one who controls how good your beer is, not your toys. Not to say that there aren't certain things that improve your product or your process in some way, but I try to be careful about adding things just for the sake of adding them. But again, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Cheers
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 87

My first batch of extract is in my primary and I should be bottling in a day or two, but I'm already buying things I will need to go partial mash and then all grain. I guess mother nature made me impatient but this is something I always wanted to do. Retirement has now given me the time.
My toys are: 46Ford street Rod, A motorcycle that I built and a 1957 Continental MK II.

Merry Christmas

Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long."

Quick Reply