Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What have I done to myself?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
GeorgiaTiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default What have I done to myself?

I swear, this brewing thing has me hooked. LOL. I look at NB website and other brewshop websites and every time I do, I see something else that I "need". My wish list at NB is growing everyday. LOL. I swear, if I win the lottery, I am going to HAVE to open a brewery!

Anyone else have this addiction? My wife calls it an obsession. I call it research!

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Well, I'm pretty fond of the process too, but it's because the brew is so good. If I didn't enjoy the end result, I'd consider it 4th and long.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I think eventually you peak in terms of need for toys and gear (maybe not necessarily for recipes or ingredients or types of beer to brew.) But once you have all the gear and gizmos that works for whatever your process gets dialed in to. Every year I buy myself the birthday and christmas presents I want, since most of my family doesn't necessarily know what I want. So I buy my own toys. And I really don't know if any of them this year are going to be brewing related. I pretty much have everything. The keezer I built over the summer was my Birthday present to myself.

There's nothing much gear wise I "need" anymore. If I do opt for something brew related, it may be a colona capper to capm wine and belgian bottles, since I'm making wines and meads and stuff these days, or maybe a couple of those 2.5 gallon chinese kegs to make one of those portable cooler keg carriers....But there's no new shiny toy or even basic tool I need to up my game. My first git to myself was an immersion chiller, and over the last 7 years I've gotten just about everything imaginable, turkey fryer, refractometer, oxygen system, stuff like that.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

GeorgiaTiger Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

For as long as youve been brewing, revvy, I would imagine there isnt much left for you to buy. LOL. It seems like I want something new everyday, though. Stuff I dont really "need" but want. An immersion chiller, I need...a kegorator...that is something that I WANT. I know that there are a few thngs that I really need but Lord when im on these supply sites, i WANT it all! LOL. I just wish I could find a job so that I can actually BUY something.

right now, its a stretch to buy a hydrometer that I NEED!

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

We'll just have to keep visualizing you having a job, soon.

The other end of the spectrum is that my original buckets and other fermenters are pretty beat up now. I just retired my first ever bucket. And those things need to be replaced, but that's not as much fun as something shiny and new.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've got the bug pretty bad. I read quite a bit on brewing, look for new toys to buy or build--I just built a water filter to filter chlorine and chloramines from my tap water for brewing.

Today at the LHBS I spoke to a guy who just did his first brew with extract and you could see the gleam in his eye--ah, the look of the newly addicted. We talked for quite a while and he had lots of questions.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 212

It's pretty safe to say I'm hooked. My cousin is too. This is something he's been wanting to do too and he got hooked when I invited him over to help me on my first batch. We alternate our brew days as sometimes it's at my house and sometimes it's at his.

I helped him brew a batch this past Saturday. I'm glad he's into this as much as me. It gives us both more brewing times, plus we have more beers to sample. We usually give a sixer to each other after a batch is bottled. He'll come over to my house when I get ready to brew mine this weekend (hopefully).

I may have to hit him up for an extra sixer of this last batch. It's NB's winter warmer and if it tastes anywhere close to as good as it smells, that brew will be delicious!

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

IT never really goes away. I'm as fascinated now as I've ever been, and there is always something else to learn, a new process to move on to, a new technique or style. It's a beautiful hobby for people who's minds don't stop (INTPs, etc).

Yesfan, I'm assuming you are a Yes fan, lol. My neighbor is best friends with Rick Wakeman. His son Adam (Ozzy, Headspace) came for a visit and borrowed my carseats for his kids. Lol.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Every time I pour a brew and look at it in the glass, take a taste , i am just amazed. This is after almost 100 brews. What a great hobby.

sure, I look at new equipment all the time,but do not feel the need that I absolutely have to have it. I am like Revvy. I buy myself a good gift occasionally. My system makes good beer. Some things may be nice but I don't think the beer will be better.

Equipment does not make beer, a good brewer does.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Like the above I'm happy with what I'm making. I'm a stove top extract brewer and I'm fine with it. People who come over and try it think its outstanding . I did buy a new primary because I wanted two in rotation. The biggest thing I did as of late was a kegging system. Man I love it.

Quick Reply