Originally Posted by Yooper
I'd add the DME early (at the beginning), and the LME late. I'd add the LME at the end of the boil. I wouldn't mess around with adding the extract at 30 minutes- all that would do is slow the boil but still carmelize the extract anyway. There'd be not reason to go with 30 minutes at all- if you want to do late extract additions, doing them with 15 minutes or less remaining. Since it tends to stop the boil for a few minutes, I'd add it at the end of the boil just before turning off the flame.
You may or may not get a little bit of hot break, but it doesn't matter.
--Thanks everyone for the comments. So how does this sound:
1. Partial mash 2 lbs of grain + specialties --1 hour.
2. Add in DME and brown sugar (2 lbs)
3. Bring to boil---first hop addition
5. with 15 minutes left in boil pull out the hop bag, add in 6 lbs LME, bring back to boil.
6. Expect foaming
7. Put hop bag back in with final hop additions for last 10 minutes or so of boil.