Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What happens if I use too much yeast?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
MichaelEssary
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 2
Default What happens if I use too much yeast?

I have a Mr. Beer kit and it comes with the 2gm packets of yeast. I went to the brewstore and bought a 5gm packet of yeast to use instead. What will be the outcome if I use too much of the yeast in the brew?

__________________
MichaelEssary is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,709
Liked 4365 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Default

Nothing. The yeast will eat the sugars available and then fall to the bottom. I've heard that sometimes Mr. Beer beers can have a yeasty taste, but that's not from too much yeast- that's from bottling too soon.

Adding more yeast than the recipe calls for won't harm it.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
MichaelEssary
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Nothing. The yeast will eat the sugars available and then fall to the bottom. I've heard that sometimes Mr. Beer beers can have a yeasty taste, but that's not from too much yeast- that's from bottling too soon.

Adding more yeast than the recipe calls for won't harm it.

Thanks, I kind of figured it wouldn't harm it but I wasn't too sure.

If I use too much sugar and too much yeast will it just have a higher ABV?
I am making some Apfelwein right now and didn't measure exact amounts of brown sugar or yeast.
__________________
MichaelEssary is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,942
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEssary View Post
What will be the outcome if I use too much of the yeast in the brew?
Perhaps a cleaner and faster ferment than has ever been experienced in a Mr. Beer.

Congrats.
__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.
BigKahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Gordie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Perhaps a cleaner and faster ferment than has ever been experienced in a Mr. Beer.

Congrats.
+1

You are on the bleeding edge of Mr. Beer. No worries. It will be fine.
__________________
Gordie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
TeleTwanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 693
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

5 grams? I use 23 grams and that's a barely optimum pitching rate for 5 gallons. I wouldn't worry about over pitching unless you're talking cups of yeast not grams.

__________________
__________________________________________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: DogFish 60 Clone
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA


"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum
TeleTwanger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,709
Liked 4365 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
5 grams? I use 23 grams and that's a barely optimum pitching rate for 5 gallons. I wouldn't worry about over pitching unless you're talking cups of yeast not grams.
A Mr. Beer fermenter is 2.5 gallons or so.

He didn't overpitch, but I'm surprised you use 23 grams in 5 gallons. I've never used more than a 10 gram package of Nottingham, and I don't underpitch. In fact, I just took a glance at Mr. Malty's pitching calculator, and for an 1.048 wort, he says I should pitch .8 of a package (10 gram). I wouldn't pitch .8, I'd pitch the whole thing of course, so I'd be ever so slightly overpitching. With 23 grams, you're overpitching. Unless you're making a big, big beer, there isn't any reason to add over two packages of yeast.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
TeleTwanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 693
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
A Mr. Beer fermenter is 2.5 gallons or so.

He didn't overpitch, but I'm surprised you use 23 grams in 5 gallons. I've never used more than a 10 gram package of Nottingham, and I don't underpitch. In fact, I just took a glance at Mr. Malty's pitching calculator, and for an 1.048 wort, he says I should pitch .8 of a package (10 gram). I wouldn't pitch .8, I'd pitch the whole thing of course, so I'd be ever so slightly overpitching. With 23 grams, you're overpitching. Unless you're making a big, big beer, there isn't any reason to add over two packages of yeast.
Oh right 2.5 gallons didn't know that.
I use 2 11.5 gram packs of safale 04 in +1.050 OG beers and depending on where you look each 11.5 gram pack has 110 billion cells but I've read that only about 85% are viable yeast so doubling that you'd get about 200 billion cells which is, depending on where you look, optimum rates for up to 1.060 og beers.

That being said 1 pack is plenty of yeast but I don't think pitching 2 is over pitching.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: DogFish 60 Clone
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA


"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum
TeleTwanger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing yeast, starters, pre-made wort, all kinds of yeast Q's 98EXL General Techniques 15 09-06-2011 05:55 PM
Liquid Yeast--Do Kits in Sequence or Split Yeast Pack? osagedr Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-27-2010 02:24 PM
WL East Coast Ale Yeast - Who has a good all grain recipe for this yeast? Griffsta Recipes/Ingredients 7 05-16-2009 09:12 PM
Made two batches, one with huge yeast slurry, and one with dry Safale-04 yeast. Jolly McStanson General Beer Discussion 4 03-07-2009 07:23 PM
Yeast harvested from a beer yeast cake used for Apfelwein? Chello General Techniques 3 02-06-2008 09:01 PM