Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is happening in my secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
rstahl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is happening in my secondary?

I just racked to my secondary after 2 weeks in the primary. After 3 days I have foam forming on the top with fine bubbles rising through from the bottom. The carboy is in a washtub since it is a little warm in my house, but the temperature of the water holds steady at 70 degrees. Any explanation for what is happening here?

imag0361.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
matt99004
Supporting Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Fermentation can sometimes "restart" when you rack to secondary. A variety of things take place when you rack, including a bit of oxygenation and mixing. There might be some fermentable sugar still in the wort. Did you happen to take the SG when you racked?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Hellosluggo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You might want to give some details as to what style/recipe you've brewed, especially what type of yeast was used. The more experienced folks here will be eager to help, but they'll need some info in order to give feedback

Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
rstahl
Recipes 

I thought that fermentation may have "restarted" here but this is only my fifth batch and I have not seen this before. Unfortunately, I did not take a gravity reading before racking this time, so that information is unavailable. The style is the "Caribou Slobber" Brown Ale made from an extract kit that I got from Northern Brewer. I used the Windsor dry yeast and OG was 1.055

Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you are going to use a secondary, and they are rarely required, you must take a gravity reading and wait until you reach your FG before moving it. You need that yeast cake for post fermentation cleanup (conditioning) and by racking too soon you lose that great work that they will do for you.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply