New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What happened? I missed fermentation..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
krj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What happened? I missed fermentation..

So I did my first brew last Friday, an American Wheat kit from NorthernBrewer. Everything went well, put it in my ale pail, decided to put a blowoff tube on it instead of an airlock because I'd read wheats are prone to blow-offs.

Anyway, I saw no signs of fermentation Friday through Monday, except that the lid on my ale pail was slightly dome-shaped. No bubbles coming out of my blow-off tube though, and I was checking it pretty frequently (anxious about my first brew).

Today I checked on it again and it still looked pretty much as it did when I set it up on Friday. However, I decided to take a gravity reading and, what do you know, it's down to 1.010 from its OG of 1.040.

So my question is, why didn't I see anything happen?? My first thought was that something must not have been airtight, but I went around and checked and everything seems as though it is. Putting a little pressure on the lid of the pale makes the tube bubble, so I'm assuming that means it's air-tight.

Regardless, I'm happy that it is fermenting at least and I can stop worrying about it, and the hydrometer sample I drank was preeetty good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's the leaking lid mystery. You are smart by letting your hydrometer make the final determination.

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I'd guess a slow leak. Slow enough to keep up with the ferment, but too slow to bleed-off when you pressed the lid.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply