Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what is gyle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
wes_1696
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what is gyle

Ok i have been doing some reading and studing on different ways to be able carb bottle beer and i ran across something call GYLE it didnt really go into much detail it just gave me a formula. has any one tryed this before and if so how does it affect the taste and carbation of the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is pretty straightforward....

Gyle calc

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
wes_1696
Recipes 

Thx, That is very straight forward!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_1696 View Post
Thx, That is very straight forward!
Yeah it is probably the clearest definition I have ever found in brewing...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've been considering starting to prime with gyle, and came across this thread. Thanks for the link Revvy. Seems too simple to be true, so I did some math and I'd like to get feedback on it.

I'm planning to brew a 6 gallon batch of Rye IPA and save a quart (0.25 gallon) of gyle for priming. According to the Gyle Calc, I need 0.9 quarts. My math to check this is below.

OG: 1.080
Volume of Gyle: 0.25 gallons
Points Per Gallon: 0.020
Fermentability: 75% (guess, but seems reasonable)
Priming Points Per Gallon: 0.015

So, to compare this with a method I have used before, I decided to compare to priming with corn sugar.

IPA Volume of CO2: 2 (per http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html)
Corn Sugar to Prime Batch: 3.7 oz (per http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html)
Corn Sugar Points Per Gallon Per Pound: .046 (per http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html)
Corn Sugar needed to achieve one gallon of .015 gravity: 5.2 oz

Therefore I'm finding a fairly wide descrepancy between the Gyle Calc and my hand calculations (5.2 oz corn sugar equivalent oz vs. 3.7 oz corn sugar per style guidlines). Any thoughts? Is it because the Gyle calculator doesn't take into accound desired volume of CO2, or is my estimated fermentability somehow off when using to calculate priming doses? Or is my math wrong?

Old 11-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post
I've been considering starting to prime with gyle, and came across this thread. Thanks for the link Revvy. Seems too simple to be true, so I did some math and I'd like to get feedback on it.

I'm planning to brew a 6 gallon batch of Rye IPA and save a quart (0.25 gallon) of gyle for priming. According to the Gyle Calc, I need 0.9 quarts. My math to check this is below.

OG: 1.080
Volume of Gyle: 0.25 gallons
Points Per Gallon: 0.020
Fermentability: 75% (guess, but seems reasonable)
Priming Points Per Gallon: 0.015

So, to compare this with a method I have used before, I decided to compare to priming with corn sugar.

IPA Volume of CO2: 2 (per http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html)
Corn Sugar to Prime Batch: 3.7 oz (per http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html)
Corn Sugar Points Per Gallon Per Pound: .046 (per http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html)
Corn Sugar needed to achieve one gallon of .015 gravity: 5.2 oz

Therefore I'm finding a fairly wide descrepancy between the Gyle Calc and my hand calculations (5.2 oz corn sugar equivalent oz vs. 3.7 oz corn sugar per style guidlines). Any thoughts? Is it because the Gyle calculator doesn't take into accound desired volume of CO2, or is my estimated fermentability somehow off when using to calculate priming doses? Or is my math wrong?
I'm far from an expert, but I think the fermentability of your wort is less than 75%. Even DME, which is most likely slightly more fermentable than your wort, only has an apparent attenuation of 65-75%, and real attenuation of 50-60%.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post
The difference you are seeing is from the fact that the gyle calculator assumes 0 volumes of residual co2 remaining in solution post fermentation while the Tastybrew calculator correctly takes residual co2 into account.

Reality is that you would want to reduce the amount of gyle appropriately based on fermentation temp to account for residual co2.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I'm far from an expert, but I think the fermentability of your wort is less than 75%. Even DME, which is most likely slightly more fermentable than your wort, only has an apparent attenuation of 65-75%, and real attenuation of 50-60%.
Fortunately with the gyle calculation this is not a guessing game. You will know the exact fermentability of your wort because you will have the fermented beer to use to determine it. The gyle will have the same fermentability as the beer.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
The difference you are seeing is from the fact that the gyle calculator assumes 0 volumes of residual co2 remaining in solution post fermentation while the Tastybrew calculator correctly takes residual co2 into account.

Reality is that you would want to reduce the amount of gyle appropriately based on fermentation temp to account for residual co2.
That's a good point. Additionally, it doesn't calculate based on desired level of carbonation per style guidelines. I think I'm going to stick with my hand calculations and see how it turns out. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply