Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what grains to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
flyfisherwes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what grains to buy?

I'm gonna buy a 50 pound bag of 2 row. Aside from that I'm gonna buy some grain for specific recipes but I want to buy some grain for some general and easy spring/summer beer recipes. I might actually get 100 of 2 row. What specialty grains should I buy? And how much? I like IPAs but I plan to do some simple light tasting ales as well. Maybe something like sam adams summer ale. Just tell me what you'd get. I'm looking for advice.

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

For a good selection of adjunct malts and base malts to add to your two row, I'd get some malted wheat, a couple different types of Crystal malt, Victory, Vienna, and maybe a little Honey malt.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernox View Post
For a good selection of adjunct malts and base malts to add to your two row, I'd get some malted wheat, a couple different types of Crystal malt, Victory, Vienna, and maybe a little Honey malt.
how much?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernox View Post
how much how much????

Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

how much of these grains should i buy? proportionally to say 50 lb of two row

Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

please dont feel like im gonna get mad if i listen to your advice and dont like it. I just need some advice. Should I maybe get 50lb of 2 row and another 50 of something else then some specialties? im gonna try and brew one or two five gallon batches a week for the next five weeks.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Get a # of golden naked oats some various crystal malts,various roasted malts,carapils,some wheat,... i would get like a # of a good variation to experiment with.At least get a few different crystal type malts,and a few roasted malts,and specialty malts.Just get a pound of how many you want. I think honey malt oat malt and golden naked oats are good. You can also toast your own base malt instead of getting busicuit or victory but definatly use a toasted malt. I would experiment with pale ales and ipas with differnet hops also. Get a good liquid yeast also and learn how to harvest it, i bought my first liquid yeast after a year of brewing and im making some really good beers now.

Get a 50# bag of base malt and get a 50 # bag of Vienna. Or Pilsner but get some munich too.
I had a bunch of crystal and various roasted malts left over so i bought my first 50# bag of base malt to use them up, bought 1 liquid yeast and am making like over 10 beers from that one vial.I just wish i had some vienna,pilsner,or munich left over. I do like to use some wheat ocasionally.

If money is kinda tight, i would get the bag of base malt then use the other 50 to get a variation of different malts. This way you can brew everything. Then again im thinking smaller batches ( a bag of base will give me about 16 2 gal. batches)here so you base malt will give you roughly 5 beers. I do smaller batches so that gives me huge variety,but feel free to do this with 2.5 gallon batches or something.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ive gotten over 300# of grains in group buys in the last 6 months. What you want depends on what beer styles you like. I like IPAs and English Ales in general. I'd prioritize with:
1. 2-row, use for most things
2. Maris otter - awesome and can be used in many beers. I would almost prioritize this over 2-row!
3. If you like hefe's, Witt, ... Wheat or flaked wheat. Or maybe Vienna, Or maybe Munich? Gets though to choose here.
4. I found myself going to the lhbs for crystal 60 quite often. You definitely don't need a sack, but 4-5 pounds would be nice. Same for carapils (but you can sub flaked wheat for head retention).

Hope this helps!

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #9
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

so im thinking a sack or two of 2 row. some crystal 60l and another maybe 120l? vienna and victory. 10 to 20 lb of each. then some others I have specific beers in mind for.

now where to buy them from.

Where is the cheapest place? I mean downright least expensive with shipping to a remote place like WV?

I was gonna go with austin because they have free shipping over a hundred bucks but they make it up in their prices. Still they may be the best place.

I need hops too. I just ordered a stainless IC from amazon and a grain mill from some place that had a deal on one.

Im wanting to get all this stuff by next weekend. So I'm open to all advice. Just can't wait on group buys... but they never happen near me anyway.

Thanks for the advice and I'd really appreciate some more

Old 01-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

We should have the best overall delivered price.

Forrest

Quick Reply