Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is a good Base Malt for Partial Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
ChaosStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default What is a good Base Malt for Partial Mash

So I have one Stovetop partial mash under my belt. It turned out really good(Kolsch) Anyways I was wondering What is a good overall Base malt for pretty much any style of beer. I was leaning twords Maris Otter(Crisp) or American 2row(Rahr) Any help in choosing a base would be welcomed. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
HopsJunkie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I'm sort of confused what you're asking. Are you doing partial mash batches(some grain(usually just specialty) + extract) or are you doing small batches and small mashes? For most partial mash recipes you'll not really use any base grains, as those fermentables will come from your extract. In general, most use 2row, but that's assuming all grain.

Generally, 1 pound grain = .75 pounds LME = .6 pounds DME. - Yooper

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

It really depends on what you make the most. Maris otter is awesome for all English style beers, and many US beers. Pilsner malt is great for many American style beers and also for Belgians and German beers. US two-row is fine for all beer styles.

I use Munich malt, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, maris otter, and US two-row for base malts, but I probably use US two-row the most since I brew a ton of IPAs, American ambers, and APAs.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsJunkie View Post
Well, I'm sort of confused what you're asking. Are you doing partial mash batches(some grain(usually just specialty) + extract) or are you doing small batches and small mashes? For most partial mash recipes you'll not really use any base grains, as those fermentables will come from your extract. In general, most use 2row, but that's assuming all grain.
A partial mash uses base grain to provide some, or even most, of the fermentable sugars.

A specialty grains + extract beer is considered an extract batch.

When we talk about "partial mash", we are referring to a recipe that contains base malt but may not provide 100% of the fermentables so some extract is used.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

US 2-row works well as a base in almost anything since it's low color and is usually cheapest.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
ChaosStout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It really depends on what you make the most. Maris otter is awesome for all English style beers, and many US beers. Pilsner malt is great for many American style beers and also for Belgians and German beers. US two-row is fine for all beer styles.

I use Munich malt, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, maris otter, and US two-row for base malts, but I probably use US two-row the most since I brew a ton of IPAs, American ambers, and APAs.
I make alot of Stouts and wheats, but im starting to branch out with 10 gallons of IPA after these Hefeweizens are done. Sounds like its a toss up between the 2row and the Maris. Maybe I'll just keep both on hand lol. Thanks for the quick response

Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Weyermann Pils is my absolute favorite base for everything from wheat beers to quads to pale ales. Marris otter is my second choice.

pandas are bears

Quick Reply