New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What formula is correct for calculating alc %?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #11
Eves
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
um . . . 5 + .5 = 5.5, not 10.
Actually it is 10. Perhaps I need to be more clear:

10% * 5 = 0.5 <- right?

So 5 + .5 = 5.5 that means that the alcohol level increased from 5 to 5.5. Which is an increase of 10%. Now I know .5% doesn't seem like a big increase but when you consider that some people go out of their way to squeeze out a little more ABV without too much impact on their final product it would be nice to know what the true increase of priming is.

As for the Coopers carb drops I see no reason to believe they're lying about them adding .5% ABV. I just question whether or not the use of priming sugar or other brands of carb tabs also increase the ABV by that much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
Actually it is 10. Perhaps I need to be more clear:

10% * 5 = 0.5 <- right?

So 5 + .5 = 5.5 that means that the alcohol level increased from 5 to 5.5. Which is an increase of 10%. Now I know .5% doesn't seem like a big increase but when you consider that some people go out of their way to squeeze out a little more ABV without too much impact on their final product it would be nice to know what the true increase of priming is.

As for the Coopers carb drops I see no reason to believe they're lying about them adding .5% ABV. I just question whether or not the use of priming sugar or other brands of carb tabs also increase the ABV by that much.
Assuming that the Coopers Carb drops carbonate the beer the same amount as priming with sugar, the same alc % should be added surely? The Homebrew Book I read (was a good one) said priming adds 0.3% so perhaps it is more then ya think?

Reading the Coopers formula again... it doesn't state if the priming is using its drops or sugar. It recommends 180g sugar for the 23L or 6gal (us) batch.

And I guess knowing the EXACT % isn't overly important, but I like to know roughly for future batches I guess.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

A "typical" priming solution containing 4 oz of corn sugar adds ~11 gravity points to your 5 gallon batch. That's a little over 2 points per gallon.

.002 x 131 = 0.26% ABV

Old 06-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
Shaggy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub? View Post
My point was it doesn't really matter. Unlike commercial brewers we don't get taxed based on our production of alcohol so unless you want bragging rights for some triple IPA you brewed who cares?

GT
Well, I for one would like to know the approximate strength I'm drinking or serving.
Since taking hydrometer readings is part of my program, doing the quick math to get an estimate is worth it to me and only takes a couple seconds.

I just use the "(OG-FG) x131" method for the approximate strength and leave it at that. I don't worry about priming sugar additions as its minimal in the big picture.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew View Post
.002 x 131 = 0.26% ABV
Exactly.

Do your "131" calculation and add a 1/4 point if you prime.

I for one want to know the ABV% on all of my beers. There's a big difference between downing a pint of my "Rye-Not a Woody?" IPA at 7.6% and my "Cream of Three Crops" Cream Ale at 3.5%.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Just go here
http://www.franklinbrew.org/tools/ac.html

no math, no problems