Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What to expect in taste or body change in finishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
grimes28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Default What to expect in taste or body change in finishing

I'm new to all this and just tasted my batch of red ale I screwed up. Lol it's been in fermentation for 4 days and is pretty much done. Pretty much quit bubbling and is at 1.012.
My question is, what do I expect it to do Orr change throughout the finishing or carbonation process. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or is this one of those "depends on recipe" questions?
Just looking for a general idea response.
Thanks guys!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

in my experience, itll go from "this tastes weird" to "this tastes like beer"

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
KeninMN
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I would leave it for at least another ten days. During these next ten days the yeast will clean after themselves, after which many cells will go dormant and drop out of suspension, clarifying your brew. Then, if your recipe doesn't require any dry hopping you can test the gravity, make sure it hasn't changed (or changed much) and if it hasn't you can bottle and allow to condition for at least another two weeks to fully carbonate.

Here is a good explanation of the process:

http://morebeer.com/articles/conditioning

Old 06-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
grimes28
Recipes 

A lot of great info there! Thanks!
Lol well right now it does taste weird.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
isuflyguy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just had a beer with the same experience... my first brew. A belgian wit... after racking I took a sample to taste and it tasted like a watery blue moon. Really hoping the carbonation helps give it body!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:36 AM   #6
nevertrustahipie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not exactly sure what you are claiming you screwed up on. 4 days is probably too early to declare fermentation is done (unless gravity readings have been 1.012 for several days, which would be a 24-36hr ferment) also the difference between a few final gravity points is not that significant, so don't sweat it (you should still end up with very good beer).

While I will say that in general 4 days is to soon to end the fermentation/conditioning phase, I don't subscribe to the more time is better belief. It's ready when it's ready. If it tastes good, its ready (assuming fermentation has stopped). That may be after 10 days or it may after 10 weeks, but once it is "ready" it really doesn't change significantly (not counting carbonation).

You have stated that it does not taste "weird" so my advice would be to take gravity readings for the next 2 days, tasting it each day, to make sure fermentation has stopped. If fermentation is completed, either bottle it and let it carb, or let it sit a week or two sampling it periodically to learn what the effect is. RDWHAHB.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:48 AM   #7
paperairplane
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't even open my fermentation bucket until it's been 3 weeks.

Don't get hung up on measuring and monitoring things - pitch enough yeast, control fermentation temperature, give it time to work.

Bubbles don't mean anything. Primary fermentation may be done in only a few days, but the yeast isn't done doing it's job.

Give it 3 or 4 weeks in primary, then bottle or keg.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #8
grimes28
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses!! I transferred it into a secondary today after two weeks in the primary. First time I've seen beer in glass. The gravity is 1.085 but its still active, tiny bubbles working to the top and a few yeast rafts.
I brewed another beer like a day after my mead beer, I put that in a secondary at the same time. There is no bubbles there.
Evidentially the honey slowed things down??
I really appreciate hearing all your advice everyone! It's great to talk about beer and mead. Lol
Cheers!!
I'm now thinking bout a batch of mead and cider. You'd think I'd get a better handle on one type of brew making before I move on to the other. Not my style.. Lol.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
grimes28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuflyguy View Post
I just had a beer with the same experience... my first brew. A belgian wit... after racking I took a sample to taste and it tasted like a watery blue moon. Really hoping the carbonation helps give it body!
Let me know how it turns out!!

Quick Reply