Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what are the effects of getting some trub in the primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

It really doesn't matter either way.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I don't think it matters too much. I used to just dump it all into the primary but started looking for ways to produce a clearer beer so, I started straining into my primary. As far as the taste of the end product? I don't notice a difference between whether I have trub in the primary or not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

That study showed turb to be free yeast nutrient and not filtering it (and even not vorlaufing) to have no negative effects on the final beer.

Quick Reply