Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What do I do with this yeast fuel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
FSBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What do I do with this yeast fuel?

I bought an ingredient kit and it comes with a vial of 5g of BrewVint Yeast Fuel. The liquid yeast that the kit came with is dead (tried a starter already) so I am going to use dry yeast. The kit instructions don't say anything about the yeast fuel. How do I use it? Should I use it? Shake it in when I rehydrate the dry yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
jtrage
Recipes 

I am new to brewing, but from the two batches I brewed up, I think you throw the yeast fuel in the wort as the boil is wrapping up.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Hmmm.... I'm a newbie too, but also a purist, and I'm thinking all that wonderful malt should be fuel enough for the yeast. What's this yeast fuel made of anyway?

Unless I get some strong opinions in the next 60 minutes, I think I'll skip it this time.

I'm brewing a double bock by the way.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Who do you expect to be up in the middle of the night? Oh wait, you're probably across the pond. Yeast fuel is used primarily for wines and meads, where nutrients aren't as scarce as they are in beer. If it were me, I'd save the yeast fuel for if you ever make a mead, it will be very beneficial. Yeast fuel is primarily vitamins and minerals, and also yeast hulls. Supposedly yeast hulls help new yeast buds grow faster.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 06-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Strange, I wonder why they included it in the kit. It's an Austin kit. At any rate, thanks for the posting, I'm gonna skip it.

As long as you're up let me pose another question as I still have a little time: I boiled a cup or so of water with a heaping spoonful of DME which I figured I'd dump my dry yeast into a while before pitching. First question is is this advisable and second how long before pitching should I do it?

(Yes, across a big pond. I find myself in Asia at the moment)

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It's probably just nutrient for the yeast, add it to the brew with the yeast

Old 06-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Who do you expect to be up in the middle of the night? Oh wait, you're probably across the pond. Yeast fuel is used primarily for wines and meads, where nutrients aren't as scarce as they are in beer. If it were me, I'd save the yeast fuel for if you ever make a mead, it will be very beneficial. Yeast fuel is primarily vitamins and minerals, and also yeast hulls. Supposedly yeast hulls help new yeast buds grow faster.
Yeast fuel is a yeast nutrient made for beer but you can use it in wine or mead. People that use it really like it and it is very popular.

It works so well that it can take up to 2 days off of your fermentation time. It is the best way to have a fast, clean, healthy fermentation.

BrewVint Yeast Fuel will:

Reduce fermentation time.
Impart no off-flavors.
Provide nutrients often lacking in wort.
Provide lipids and amino acids which are beneficial for yeast.

Usage: Use one capsule per 5 gallon batch added at the last 10 minutes of the boil.

We have received many many emails from online customers and comments from instore customers who have tried BrewVint Yeast Fuel. They were all amazed at how quickly and easily the fermentation began, how vigorous it was, and how quickly it was complete. And now they will not brew with out it.

Sounds like I need to give out samples so people can post their results. Just PM me with an address and I can send out samples. PLEASE post your results so that people can learn.

Forrest

Last edited by Austinhomebrew; 06-21-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
solidghost
Recipes 

I normally just add a spoonful of baker's yeast to act as nutrients when boiling the wort. It's very cheap this baker's yeast and yes, the fermentation is very vigorous.

Singapore Home Brew Suppliers

Old 06-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidghost View Post
I normally just add a spoonful of baker's yeast to act as nutrients when boiling the wort. It's very cheap this baker's yeast and yes, the fermentation is very vigorous.
I hate to break this to you: There is actually more bacteria in baking yeast than yeast. Quality control is not as important in baking yeast because it is going to be cooked. Beer designed for fermentation needs to have virtually no bacteria.

Yeast Fuel has yeast hulls and other minerals such as zinc (very important) to produce a healthy fermentation.

Forrest

Old 06-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I hate to break this to you: There is actually more bacteria in baking yeast than yeast. Quality control is not as important in baking yeast because it is going to be cooked. Beer designed for fermentation needs to have virtually no bacteria.
But he said he adds it when boiling the wort, so I assume this will kill any bacteria...

So what does this yeast fuel actually contain?

Quick Reply