Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What to do with expired Pilsner malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
DHdriver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What to do with expired Pilsner malt extract

I have a can of Muntons pilsner malt extract kit that's expired by just over year. I did a search and I read it could lead to anything from stale tastes, to off flavours to undrinkable. So far I've only brews liquid malt extract cans with no variations or creativity. I'm looking for some ideas of what I can add, boil or secondary ferment into it that's not too complicated. I'm generally a fan of darks and stouts so that's probably why this can wasn't used sooner.
I know the yeast package may be an issue and I should check it first.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You could get some twang from it being old. That said, if you want to brew with it anyway I would choose something dark so any off flavors would be masked some. Those flavors would shine right through a really light beer like a Pilsner. Maybe a porter or stout and add the necessary dark steeping grains to darken it.

Definitely get some new yeast, no sense in using old stuff when its relatively cheap.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply