Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What to do with a beer that won't carbonate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
jasonclick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What to do with a beer that won't carbonate?

So it started with purchasing a Belgian Ale extract kit from a guy on craigslist. I brewed the beer per the directions and bottled it with the priming sugar that came with the kit. It's been in the bottle now for about 3 months. I've opened several over the past few months checking for carb but there's none. I opened one tonight and still no carbonation. So is there a way to fix this? I can tell you that I have read about fixing some carb issues on this board. I've stored it @ about 78 degrees. I rolled the bottles around to get the yeast stirred up. Still no help. Anyways is there anything I can do? I know when I bought the kit it was sitting in the guys garage for at least a year. I live in Florida and garages get in the upper 90's in the summer. For all I know there could have been something wrong with the yeast. I did take gravity readings (I can't remember what they are now) and they read to what the instructions said. Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
BeerChef17
Recipes 

well my best guess would be that something happened to your yeast and they died sometime before or in the very beginning of the bottling phase. Does the beer taste like fermentation finished out? or is it still kinda sweet? Id pour a bottle out to grab a gravity reading to see what you are looking at then go from there.

If the yeast was bad you may have to carefully get the beer back into a bucket and pitch some new yeast hoping not to oxidize

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Bonanza Weizen, Coffee Stout, Flying Dog IPA Clone, Momma K's Kream Ale

Next up: Smokey the Bear Honey Porter

Planning: Godzilla IIPA (Citrillo IIPA)

Old 06-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

3 months and no carb? I say make BBQ sauce with it!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Get yourself a packet of champagne yeast. You'll also need fresh caps.

Rehydrate said yeast in water (or use liquid) in a sanitized container, get a children's medicine dropper with ML gradients like this,

Sanitize it, open beer bottle, suck up slurry into sanitized eyedropper, squirt 1 ml of yeast into bottle, then re-cap. Give the bottles a shake, and then walk away for another 2-3 weeks to give that yeast a chance to do the job.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Also... don't buy beer kits from some cat off of craigslist. There are so many mail order and local HBS's out there with good quality ingredients that I wouldn't even fathom buyin' something second hand.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
jasonclick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

GAS,
I've since graduated to all grain. The $25 vs $45 @ the store got me to buy it. In the long run it would have been better to pay the extra.

Rev/Chef,
I guess I'll try and give it some more yeast. It couldn't hurt. I was thinking that or dumping them in a container and distilling it through freezing.

Quick Reply