Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the difference between these two brew kettles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
MatthewN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the difference between these two brew kettles?

I'm starting to get into all grain brewing and I'm putting together my equipment. I have noticed that when it comes to kettles there seems to always be a really cheap model and a high end one. From the specifications I can't really see the difference.

$239.99

$102

Is the $200 dollar one really worth the difference?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say it's totally not worth the difference. It does have the false bottom so it can be used as a mash tun, but that's not worth it.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i you are even a little bit handy you could make a keggle for $100 or less depending on how much you pay for the keg, i found one for $45 bucks on craigslist.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgstiffler View Post
I would say it's totally not worth the difference. It does have the false bottom so it can be used as a mash tun, but that's not worth it.
I wouldn't jump the gun on that..look at the bottoms of the kettles. The ECONOMY pot is just a thin sheet of stainless.. the more expensive one has a heat sink on the bottom( probably a thick aluminum plate ) which SHOULD make it more heat efficient AND less likely to scorch the wort, and far less likely to warp.

Is it worth the difference....thats up to you.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
i you are even a little bit handy you could make a keggle for $100 or less depending on how much you pay for the keg, i found one for $45 bucks on craigslist.
BINGO. I have under 30 bucks in my keggle. BUT I have friends in low places and got my fittings free. The keg I honestly found in a ditch.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

will you be sticking to 5 gallon batches? i quickly outgrew my first kettle and ended up buying a series of kettles in increasing sizes. if i had to do it again i would have just started with the keggle.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Jdaught
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Keggle is the way to go. Especially if all u plan on doing is 5 gallon batches. Gets a little tricky fighting the boil over with the 10 gal batches. 12-13 gal of wort in a 15 gal vessel doesn't allow for much headroom. Actually considering getting 20 gal blinchmann now.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
Rogue14
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd look around for a 10 gallon pot. If you are doing 5 gallon batches you can easily start with a 7 preboil volume. I have a friend who does this and boils vigorously. He ends up with just under 5 gallons. I boil a bit more gently and end up with 6 gallons. The point is you have more room and won't have to worry as much about boilover.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
will you be sticking to 5 gallon batches? i quickly outgrew my first kettle and ended up buying a series of kettles in increasing sizes. if i had to do it again i would have just started with the keggle.
If you are going to spend that kind of money, get a bigger kettle. You will be happy you did.

Buy one that can do 10 gallon batches even if you are not ready for them. You will never worry about boil overs and you will be ready to step up and not be stuck with a small kettle.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaught View Post
Keggle is the way to go. Especially if all u plan on doing is 5 gallon batches. Gets a little tricky fighting the boil over with the 10 gal batches. 12-13 gal of wort in a 15 gal vessel doesn't allow for much headroom. Actually considering getting 20 gal blinchmann now.
exactly, my keggle is a little small for my 10 gal batches. I'm now looking for a 25 gal kettle for 10 and 15 gal batches. probably just buy aluminum to save $$$.

Quick Reply