Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the diff between Propagator/Activator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default What is the diff between Propagator/Activator

and how do you prepare each.

TIA
Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

From what I understand, the only difference is the number of viable yeast cells that come in the package. So for Activators, you should make a starter, for Propagators, you definitely need to make a starter.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_products.cfm
The PROPAGATOR™ has a minimum of 25 billion cells of pure yeast, plus an internal nutrient packet. The PROPAGATOR™ is designed to inoculate a one liter starter* before adding to five gallons of wort (up to 1.060 SG).

The Activator™ has a minimum of 100 billion cells of pure, ready-to-pitch yeast, plus an internal nutrient packet. The Activator™ is designed to inoculate five gallons of wort (up to 1.060 SG) providing the pitching rate recommended by professional brewers.

Wyeast intends for the activator to be directly pitched and the propagator to be used for making a starter when used for the same beer....you may want to make a starter either way depending on your preferences for cells pitched and OG of wort. JZ has a calculator for pitching volume @ www.mrmalty.com

Quick Reply