New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What did you learn this week?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #101
ArcticBear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

i learned to always have kegs on the backup... apparently theres a surprise party today at my house and my kegerator is nearly empty... had to fill it with some off style stuff (maple wheat, elderberry ale, etc..)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #102
jakeperks
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After bottling my first ever batch today using a siphon from the bottling bucket, I learned (or rather decided) that my bottling bucket will soon have a hole drilled in it and a tap inserted.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #103
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I learned that when buying your first 3 ball locks from a Craigslist stranger, after dark and in a garage with only one ceiling light, make sure you look them over well and check ALL 3 for pressure and not just 2 of 3.
After filling one at home the next day with hot oxy clean and shaking it up, I hear a hissing sound that wasn't from either post or the lid. It was coming from the side. I looked closely and saw a piece of duct tape over a small pin hole about an inch down from the top. I believe its fixable with a small stainless bolt a rubber washer or o-ring and nut but I'm still pissed at myself. Lesson learned.

I'm also learning how to build my own keezer since I picked up a new GE 7 cu ft freezer from HD last week for $158 delivered! You won't believe how many hours I've spent on here in the last week reading threads and watching YT vids about this project. Tons of useful info!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #104
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeperks View Post
After bottling my first ever batch today using a siphon from the bottling bucket, I learned (or rather decided) that my bottling bucket will soon have a hole drilled in it and a tap inserted.
i bottle out of a stock pot... are you using an auto-siphon, or the old fashioned gravity fed kind with a racking cane, hose, and bottling wand?

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #105
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This week, I learned to keep sparging until I have enough volume pre boil instead of following Beersmith 2 which was set up by a rookie (me). My 4 gallon batch ended up bein 3 with a loss yet to trub. Probably will end up with a 2.5 gallon batch from 8 pounds of grain...

Also, I learned tht my 5 gallon glass carboys look like they could easily be used as a primary for 5 gallon batches. I will use blowoff tubes, but there are everal inches to spare at the top. This means I can have 3 batches going at a time now!!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #106
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i use one gallon carboys for one gallon batches, and blow-off tubes, i currently have multiple batches going.

blow-off tubes are our friends.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #107
brnooewb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I learned to stir your beer and priming solution if you leave it for any length of time in the bottling bucket or else you will end up with a growler full of very nicely carbed beer and a bunch of very flat beers. Thankfully I bought some carbonation drops and here in about another week I'll crack open a hopefully carbed hefeweizen.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #108
jakeperks
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing

i bottle out of a stock pot... are you using an auto-siphon, or the old fashioned gravity fed kind with a racking cane, hose, and bottling wand?
The old fashioned kind. Starting the siphon and then trying to attach the wand is far too fiddly. An auto-siphon might be a better bet.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #109
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I learned that leaving my homebrew bottles in the fridge for 2 weeks makes them soooo much better

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #110
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 1136

Found out on my 2nd partial mash that I def need some better mash temp control.

Quick Reply