Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is this what Crushed Grains are supposed to look like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #71
winterparkmg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Follow-ups?

Anyone have follow-up information on this issue? Im just trying to get good information so i know what to expect. I just ordered five AG kits from Midwest and shipped them to Italy. I am curious of they have adjusted their customer service and/or mill in the year that followed this issue.

I will report back when I receive my kits with photos. Out of five kits, most of which have large base malt contents, I think I will be getting a good idea of their milling fidelity.

Over here in an FPO area code, it is difficult to get companies to ship grain and alcohol supplies, so options are limited. Midwest seems to work with the shipping and prices are good.

Any thoughts on company alternatives in case things don't work out this time around?

Did Midwest ever reply to the email about this thread?

I will post pictures in a few weeks of all the base malts.

~William

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #72
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
I ordered my specialty grains from Midwest crushed, and they came like this, supposedly crushed; but, are they really crushed?

My last kit was also with crushed grains and they looked similar. I should have asked the question then, but forgot. Just wanna make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed to be getting.

Yes

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #73
winterparkmg
Recipes 

Yeah,
I read that. I didn't create a new thread since this one already addressed the issue,, hence my post within. My question specifically addresses post numbers 1, 48, 60, and 70. I'm asking if in the last year since this thread has been active, people have received better milled grains from Midwest or if the company has responded directly to product quality assurance concerns via email or other correspondence.

I apologize if this was not clear. Either way, the point is moot as in a few weeks I will see for myself. I just wanted to see if i had to make a homebuilt mill or not.

Thanks for the help.

~Wm

Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #74
puter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterparkmg View Post
I'm asking if in the last year since this thread has been active, people have received better milled grains from Midwest...
Not really. I have used two extract kits from Midwest and both have looked like the OP's pictures.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #75
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

As mentioned earlier in this thread...

These are specialty grains. They are not mashed, they are steeped. As such if you grind the heck out of them it will be hard to keep them in the grainbag due to the small particles. You don't want to have the husks in the boil b/c of tannins. However the finer crush the more sugars can be extracted during the boil. So there's a balance. Would I want my grains crushed finer?

If I was doing extract brewing, I would want them crushed more than that. Just get out your rolling pin....

Quick Reply