Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is this "crash cooling" some of you speak of???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Beernewb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default What is this "crash cooling" some of you speak of???

I am 7 days into my cream stout, its resting quietly at 67 degrees, no visible signs or sounds coming from the airlock and the beer has retreated to resemble a smooth lake with a few white lilies on top. i am going to give it another week before taking a hydrometer reading and potentially transferring to my bottling bucket....oh, my question? what s this crash cooling people talk about? do i need to do this before bottling? i have the ability through my temperature controlled freezer, but what are the advantages/disadvantages?
tia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would crash it down to 33*F for a couple of days before you want to take gravity and transfer. It will really cause a lot more yeast to drop and compact on the bottom of your fermenter and then allow for a cleaner transfered beer into your secondary or bottling bucket in your case. This is the Crash Cooling you hear about. It is simply taking your beer down to almost freezing to allow yeast to stop and drop. Lagers you will want to drop a few degrees a day, but ales can pretty much be dropped immediately after primary fermentation is completed.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

If you leave it in the primary longer, say three weeks or so, does crash cooling really do much?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It can. Mostly it helps to settle out excess yeast and proteins dissolved in the beer which results in a clearer finished product and reduces chill haze.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
adamd
Recipes 

If you plan on filtering through a holding keg and into a serving keg, would it make crash cooling obsolete?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The purpose of crash cooling is to remove chill haze which some people find objectionable in clear beers. It does nothing for flavor. If you can notice chill haze in a stout, then by all means crash cool. Otherwise, I'd leave that procedure for a lighter beer.

-a.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As far as the excess yeast goes, the answer is yes. Filtering can remove almost all of the yeast from the beer but it won't remove chill haze. Chill haze is produced by proteins dissolved in the beer and filtering won't remove them. The only things I know of that will reduce the effect are cold crashing, extended secondary aging, gelatin/isinglass fining or the use of polyclar.

I should add that chill haze is purely aesthetic and does not impact the taste or body of the brew.

Reason: additional info.

Quick Reply