Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What conditions cause autolysis - yeast death and rupture?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I'm no expert on the subject, but my understanding is that autolysis is exacerbated by temperature. That is, a warm temperature would encourage the breaking down of the cells. Pressure, too, so it might be hard to do it at home without ruining a big batch of beer.

One way to experience the "meaty" smell and taste of autolysis is simply to rack out your beer, and keep an inch or two of beer on the yeast cake and put it someplace warm for two or three weeks. That should do it.

Some winemakers do age sur lie- but it those cases, the lees are regularly stirred. That gives the wine a certain je ne sais quoi, but not a bad flavor. If the lees weren't stirred, though, that would create more of a bad off flavor. At least that is my understanding from winemaking.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
I was wondering if there was an under-pitch factor going on maybe. The yeast were stressed from starting with not enough survivors in the packet. ?

Re-hydrating with a little fermentable would give a higher pitch rate too, right?
Dry yeast contains more cells than liquid yeast packages. They seem to account for losses when pitching dry. But not from the packet. It's from losses during rehydrating in the wort,which increases lag time as well.
Rehydrating in wort is the same as pitching dry. That's why rehydrating in water works a bit better,in conjunction with getting the yeast down to within 10 degrees of wort temp slowly before pitching. This makes for less attrition of yeast cells at pitch time,shortening lag time as a result.
So to try to simulate autolysis,pitch it dry in cooled wort in the fermenter. Old yeast would help it as well.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

It's started.

I used a growler with an air-lock. I filled it over half full of trub and added some table sugar and some tap water.

The air-lock started going almost immediately. I sterilized everything. I used Vodka for the air-lock.

echs3r1ment.jpg   trub.jpg   beer.jpg  

Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Dry yeast contains more cells than liquid yeast packages. They seem to account for losses when pitching dry. But not from the packet. It's from losses during rehydrating in the wort,which increases lag time as well.
Rehydrating in wort is the same as pitching dry. That's why rehydrating in water works a bit better,in conjunction with getting the yeast down to within 10 degrees of wort temp slowly before pitching. This makes for less attrition of yeast cells at pitch time,shortening lag time as a result.
So to try to simulate autolysis,pitch it dry in cooled wort in the fermentor. Old yeast would help it as well.
I didn't do a bunch of these suggestions because I had everything ready and could just go.

Also, I'm kinda good with my methods as stands for now.

This is because I was told if I let a regular batch of beer set in a carboy for too long, I will achieve autolysis.

I can always try to distress some yeast again later.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm no expert on the subject, but my understanding is that autolysis is exacerbated by temperature. That is, a warm temperature would encourage the breaking down of the cells. Pressure, too, so it might be hard to do it at home without ruining a big batch of beer.

One way to experience the "meaty" smell and taste of autolysis is simply to rack out your beer, and keep an inch or two of beer on the yeast cake and put it someplace warm for two or three weeks. That should do it.

Some winemakers do age sur lie- but it those cases, the lees are regularly stirred. That gives the wine a certain je ne sais quoi, but not a bad flavor. If the lees weren't stirred, though, that would create more of a bad off flavor. At least that is my understanding from winemaking.
For good measure, what, eight weeks unmolested, and see what happens?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

People leave beer in primary for months on end without autolysis. It could take a long while to acheive.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Dynachrome
Recipes 

I have six growlers that I almost never use.

Here is a video of the experiment airlock.

I forgot, you can't tip a camera when you are taking video.

My growler experiment

Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Workin kinda slow. Looks like it's been going for a while?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When you bottle your next beer, pour the cake into a container, loosely seal the top (or the container will explode) and set it off to the side somewhere.

Then you will know what autolysis is.

I store my slurry in mason jars in the fridge, with the intention of using it within a couple of months. At 6 months at fridge temperatures there is an obvious autolysis smell starting to appear. At room temperature it should occur much faster.

You will know when you have it.

I think that once you start to starve it of the nutrients in the beer, it becomes cannibalistic.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Fascinating subject. Could you bottle a bunch of bombers with lots of yeast, then taste one per month, after say, 4 months?

Keep us up to date with your results.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply