Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What cold crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Brew2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default What cold crashing

I'm new to brewing. Just doing my 3rd batch. This is my first one that I'm not doing a secondary. Is cold crashing something that I should do? Thanks for the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
dawgmatic
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How long has it been in your primary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Brew2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Only one week.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
dawgmatic
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your going to cold crash in the primary I would wait at least three weeks in order to make sure its completely done fermenting. Either that or take a couple gravity readings after 2 weeks to make sure the gravities stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
dizzyfun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cold crashing is done to help particulate settle out and clear the beer, kinda like lagering. If you don't care about beer clarity you can skip this step. During the winter I'll normally place the carboy on the garage floor. Have not cold crashed during the summer yet. Not sure what I'll do since I don't have a fridge large enough to put it in.

"The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain" ~ Freisste

"Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put a small hook in the end, just big enough to fit thru the hole in your bung." ~ Huesmann

Old 05-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lot of variables there, sg? Did you take a fg? Has it floctulated? Cold crashing is good, I almost never use a secondary, except with oak chips. Depending on sg, should leave in primary at least two weeks.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 05-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm a firm believer in the rule of threes. Three weeks for every step minimum. Cold crashing will help to cause some of the larger protein particles precipitate out of your brew. I crash my brew to just above freezing for 24-48 hrs and do not touch it till then. I rack it to bottles and cap cold, and allow them to warm to room temp for 3-4 weeks. Then into the fridge for cooling to serving temp. Clears my brews nicely. I even did it to a German Hefe and ended up drinking Crystal Hefe just like Pauliner or Wurzburger Hof in Wurzburg. Patience is one thing brewing will teach you. If you let the brew come to you it will improve the taste and mouthfeel and the carbonation will hold a good lacy head for a long while. Once you get a few brews into your pipeline, save a few from each batch in a special shelf or drawer and see how tasty they get after three or four months. It is amazing how smooth and ,mellow they will become with just a few months of ageing. So try to keep a 6'er from every 5 gallon batch and before long you will have a pretty broad selection of flavors and styles to entertain you friends and associates with when they come to visit..

Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I now cold-crash every batch 3-5 days @35*F before bottling/kegging. I also add 1/2 tab of whirlfloc @ 10 minutes left in the boil and let my wort settle 15 minutes after removing the chiller. My beers have become much clearer since I began using those three techniques.

An old friend came to a "groom shower" we had at our house today for my son. After sampling the 3 varieties I have on tap, he asked, "What kind of filter do you use to get beer so clear?"

Quick Reply