Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What causes excessive foaming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Back to the original question-

Gushing can be from-

1 Infection

2 too much sugar

3 bottling before fermentation is complete, this is why bottling, or dong anything like racking to a secondary, should be done based on HYDROMETER readings and NOT the instruction or a calendar, or airlock bubbling stopping or slowing down.

4 Not chilling the beer and letting the co2 be pulled into solution.

5 Opening the bottles too soon, usually around 1 week, when the co2 is in the headspace but NOT in solution. This is best illustrated by Poindexter's video from my bottling blog.

6) Shaking/agitating the bottle.

These are pretty much the only reasons why a bottle would gush.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply