Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What to buy for a beginner?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Spintab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd

I've been considering that one as well. Check out this thread discussion about it - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/best-deal-10gal-alum-brew-kettle-381940/

I'm also looking at these two:

http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Weld-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Brew-Pot-_p_1684.html

http://www.homebrewing.org/One-Weld-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Pot_p_1683.html

Still not sure. I've been getting familiar with the basic process by doing some smaller (2-2.5 gallon) batches using a couple of Mr. Beer fermenters (one a Christmas present, the other someone else's present who didn't want to brew).

I've now got everything I need to step up to 5-gallon batches and hopefully BIAB, but still need a decent brew pot.
The two from homebrewing,org are great kettles with pre welded couplings to boot. I use one of the one welds and love it. Plenty of room for five gallon batches and the quality is pretty good for being "economy" kettles.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
The two from homebrewing,org are great kettles with pre welded couplings to boot. I use one of the one welds and love it. Plenty of room for five gallon batches and the quality is pretty good for being "economy" kettles.
Thanks Spintab.

If you had to do it all over again, would you get the one-weld or get the two-weld model and add a thermometer?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
bwpigeon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboBrewing View Post
Thanks for all of the in depth replies. It does look like I will be starting off all grain.

Based off the replies I would like to have the following:

1.Kettle+heater

2.Mash tun

3.Immersion Chiller

4. Possibly a few more fermentation buckets (Might be able to get some free from costco/local bakery, but I'm not sure if there will be any greater than 5 gallons).

Does anyone know of any good deals on the above listed items online? I am starting to wish I took advantage of some of the deals on cybeer monday .

I will be heading up to the LHBS in a couple days to pick up the materials for the first recipe and anything I havn't purchased online. Thanks again!
I just built a 20' Immersion Chiller with 1/2" soft copper tubing I purchased at Lowes for just over $20. I straitened both ends out so they could be bent upwards to connect hoses to. Then I used a 1 gal paint pail to recoil the tubing around. I used my old waterbed adapter to hook it up to the sink, with 12" clear tubing and a Brass garden hose end. It cooled my 5 gal brew down in about 15 minutes. Total investment just about $30 with hose, fitting and copper tubing.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #14
Spintab
Recipes 

I'd go with the two probably. I had thought about it and didn't pull the trigger to make the investment more palatable to you know who, em wife. I'd use the top to recirc around my chiller though. I think I'd want it higher. I may do a weldless jobber eventually. Pointless without a pump.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Don't forget to check your local craigslist for turkey fryers. I got a 7.5 gallon SS kettle and a burner for $50. Granted, that isn't the set-up I will end my brewing career with, but it has served me well so far.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My BK is similar to the Amazon link above and I've had no trouble with it. I did install a weldless bulkhead and 1/2" ball valve to make transferring easier, but that's the only modification. It's a pretty robust kettle. Kyle

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
Thanks for all of the replies.

Hey I might be getting one of the two suggested from homebrewing.org. What is the advantage of having the welded bit? Will that be that much of an advantage over the amazon one? For ten bucks more I might as well pick that one up if that's what you would recommend.

Also What is the advantage of the two weld over the single weld pot? Thanks.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
Spintab
Recipes 

The welds are for attaching various fittings, most commonly a ball valve on the lower port. The top is often used for a thermometer or recirculating from the bottom. If you don't have anything to put in the top (or even the bottom) you can put a plug in until you do. Being welded, they are attached in the strongest and most leak proof manner possible. The Amazon pot is aluminum. Aluminum is cheaper and easier to drill into if you want ports in the future but it takes a little more effort to clean. Stainless is well...prettier too. I used an aluminum kettle that came with a turkey fryer setup for a long time and it was great but a little small. It became my hlt when I upgraded to the stainless one in the link.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #19
bwpigeon
Recipes 

Default Chiller

I wouldn't buy a chiller, I would build one myself. I went to Lowes and got a 25'
roll of 1/2" soft copper straightened both ends so they were long enough to be bent upward. I added a 1/2" clear plastic hose, use the one with the fiber reinforcement, it's more rigid. I reformed the coil around a 1 gallon paint pail. I just ran my second batch of beer 6.5 gal, The chiller cooled it down to about 80 degrees in about 15 minutes. Good luck BW

Quick Reply