Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what brewers best kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
spam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default what brewers best kits?

This weekend I will be buying 2 kits or extracts&hops (up to you guys)
I want to get one that will ferment and age very quickly so I will have some beer on hand. And I want one other that is a high gravity and full of hop&malt flavor,but not so high that it needs starters or a secondary.I will take my time with this one. I want to keep things simple for now. My lhbs only sells brewers best brand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My favorite BB kits are the IPA, Imperial Blonde and Summer Ale - all make damn good beers IMO - just remember to ferment for 2 weeks at least but wait 3 weeks for better beer. Use your hydrometer to make doubly sure it's done working. Don't listen to their directions about fermentation time!

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
profallout
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For the higher gravity beers go with the Russian Imperial Stout or their seasonal Holiday Ale which should be available now. Both are great but I would go with the Holiday Ale since it isn't around all year long.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 117

If you are looking for something that will be ready to drink quickly, look at something with a lower ABV. ESB or maybe one of the Wheat beers would be a good choice. Of course assuming you like those styles.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I brewed their IPA and was drinking it in 2 weeks. It definately got better with some age, don't get me wrong. If/when I brew it again I will do 2 weeks instead of one in primary, and wait two weeks for bottle conditioning as well.. That being said, it tasted good after 1 week primary, 1 week in the bottle. I think most here will tell you not to rush it like that though.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
I brewed their IPA and was drinking it in 2 weeks. It definately got better with some age, don't get me wrong. If/when I brew it again I will do 2 weeks instead of one in primary, and wait two weeks for bottle conditioning as well.. That being said, it tasted good after 1 week primary, 1 week in the bottle. I think most here will tell you not to rush it like that though.
I got great results with 2 weeks on the IPA as well - 1 week is not enough time I think, but this beer was very good, very quick!

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
johnheather125
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The imperial pale ale is good as well for high ABV, but I my self agree with profallout get the Holiday Ale.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
spam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

ok IPA or holiday it is for both then!!! thaks guys, I will keep you posted on the process.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
VAReef
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everyone has different tastes, but I find their Imperial IPA to be one of the best brews I've ever had. I do it ~10 days in the primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 2 weeks in the bottle. Have found a couple of commercial brews that tase about as good to me (Daisy Cutter out of Chicago, Ballast Point Sculpin), but not many. Was told Arrogant Bastard is comparable, but I think this is better.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 530

The Rye P A is my favourite - so much hop goodness! It never fails to impress guests, either - when I let them have one, that is.

I'd get that, and the porter they've got. No starters needed for either. RyePA uses nottingham yeast, which is very easy to work with. Plus you get to dry hop!

Quick Reply