Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What to brew for my official 2nd batch of beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
GoatLocker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Williams Brewing has a double stout that I am wrapping up now and it is FANTASTIC! I will definitely do it again, but probably a PG next time..

-Josh, Founder: Goatlocker Brewing Co.
"Don't mess with the Mess!"

Tap #1: Joe Navy's Belgian Quad
Tap #2: Old Ironsides Double Stout
Tap #3: Goatlocker Initiation English Bitter

Waiting for a Tap: Nothing right now..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

OOOOOH- I have the perfect oatmeal stout recipe. Well, actually, it's not my recipe. It's Jamil Zainasheff's recipe, from Brewing Classic Styles. I did the all-grain version, but he has a partial mash version as well.

He has the recipe set for a full boil, starting with 7 gallons and boiling down to 5.5. It can easily be changed for a smaller sized boil, though, if your pot is smaller. What size boil will you want to do?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
OOOOOH- I have the perfect oatmeal stout recipe. Well, actually, it's not my recipe. It's Jamil Zainasheff's recipe, from Brewing Classic Styles. I did the all-grain version, but he has a partial mash version as well.

He has the recipe set for a full boil, starting with 7 gallons and boiling down to 5.5. It can easily be changed for a smaller sized boil, though, if your pot is smaller. What size boil will you want to do?
While not a stout, The JZ chocolate hazelnut Porter kit from morebeer is freaking awesome. Probably the best chocolate beer I have ever had!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
evsjeep527
Recipes 

Quote:

My brew pot is 5 gal. My first batch I did a 2.5 gal partial boil for a 5 gal. batch. I could probably boil up to 4 gal. I'm thinking?

#1 Primary: Crazy Daisy's Hefeweizen
#2 Primary: Empty
Test Primary: 680 Spruce Beer
Secondary: Empty
Bottles: Batch #00001 Brown Ale
On Deck: California Common
Drinking: Troegs Nugget Nectar, Victory Moonglow Weizenbock and Dark Lager, and lots of miscellaneous Dogfish Head (World Wide Stout, Burton Baton, 120, Olde School, etc.)

Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm glad you brought up that Oatmeal Stout Yooper. I have been wanting to make it, but I have been hot and cold with the commercial examples. I will probably stick that in the lineup right after the american stout. That is a style I know that I love. Have you made that one Yooper?

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
I'm glad you brought up that Oatmeal Stout Yooper. I have been wanting to make it, but I have been hot and cold with the commercial examples. I will probably stick that in the lineup right after the american stout. That is a style I know that I love. Have you made that one Yooper?

Eric
The only recipe I tried for an oatmeal stout was Jamil's. It was terrific and everybody loved it.

The recipe is here: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/...tmealStout.htm

To make that an extract recipe with a 3 gallon boil, I'd do this:

3 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract

2 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 1 min]

1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Black roasted barley
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L

1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min)

Ale yeast, like London ESB yeast, WLP002 or Nottingham.

Put grains in grain bag, and place into 8.25 quarts of 165 degree water. Stir well, and check temperature. Keep temperature during the mash at 153-155 degrees. After 60 minutes, lift the grain bag and place into a second pot or into a colandar over the brewpot. Pour 170 degree water over, to reach 3 gallons. Throw away grains. Add 3 pounds liquid extract, and bring to a boil.

At boiling, add the hops and set the timer for 60 minutes. After the time is up, turn off the flame add the remainder of the malt extract. Stir well, and allow to sit to pasteurize for 5 minutes. Cool wort, then top off to 5.5 gallons. Add yeast.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #17
evsjeep527
Recipes 

Quote:
After 60 minutes, lift the grain bag and place into a second pot or into a colandar over the brewpot. Pour 170 degree water over, to reach 3 gallons.
Sorry, I'm a little bit confused by this step right here. Here is what I think you are telling me:

I should have another pot of water ready that is preheated to 170F. And then pour that preheated water over the grain bag into the brew pot to reach 3 gallons for my partial.

EDIT: I see what you are saying now. This is a partial mash, I must have missed that before.

Sounds like it would make a good beer, although I don't know that I'm ready to step up to partial mash yet. I need to get a couple of good extract brews under my belt first. Thanks for the recipe though.

#1 Primary: Crazy Daisy's Hefeweizen
#2 Primary: Empty
Test Primary: 680 Spruce Beer
Secondary: Empty
Bottles: Batch #00001 Brown Ale
On Deck: California Common
Drinking: Troegs Nugget Nectar, Victory Moonglow Weizenbock and Dark Lager, and lots of miscellaneous Dogfish Head (World Wide Stout, Burton Baton, 120, Olde School, etc.)

Quick Reply