Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What to brew for 6mo to 1 year

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Beau815
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What to brew for 6mo to 1 year

I have a mr beer container sitting around and im thinking of doing a 6 month to one year ferment... the higher the abv the better in this one... so what should I make? A barley wine is probably the most obvious answer right? Any recipes that were AMAZING that you would LOVE to make but don't wanna wait another 6-12 months? (its only 2.5 gallons as a side note)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2796 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Look at barley wines, Belgian Quads and Trippels, Ever try a sour? Might be a good experiment.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i dunno, i look at it from the other side. if you're gonna put the care into fermenting something for a year and it turns out great, don't you want to have at least five gallons of it? remember it'll be another year before you get any more.

i use my small fermenters (1 gal glass jugs) for smaller experimental batches, or for when i need to brew on my stovetop for whatever reason. but when i'm betting big on a beer (in both time and dollars) i want as much of it as i can get.

i have considered trying a small batch of mead (i've never been a huge mead fan) and just forgetting about it, but even with that you want to transfer it off the yeast after awhile.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau815 View Post
I have a mr beer container sitting around and im thinking of doing a 6 month to one year ferment... the higher the abv the better in this one... so what should I make? A barley wine is probably the most obvious answer right? Any recipes that were AMAZING that you would LOVE to make but don't wanna wait another 6-12 months? (its only 2.5 gallons as a side note)
I'd do a lambic, along the lines of a Cantillon Framboise. Or any other sour, as long as you're ready to commit that Mr Beer to your permanent "sours only" fermenter.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No never did a sour... and not too versed on lambics, i did try one and i am not a sweet person. Its too much for me and i offer my wife lambics at the local brew pub because she likes sweet drinks more... i dont want to wait a year for that. id rather have a REAL deal barley wine or maybe the Belgian Quads and Trippels mentioned... i need to read up on doubles trippels and quads because its new to me although ive had a trippel before.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
No never did a sour... and not too versed on lambics, i did try one and i am not a sweet person
Lindeman's is by far the most common "lambic" in the US and it's very sweet (they back-sweeten with Splenda from what I understand). But it's not really very lambic-y, to the point where a lot of people don't really consider it a real lambic at all.

Most lambics are not sweet like that. Cantillon's particularly dry, which is why that's what I'd pick.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Is a Mr. Beer compatible with long storage?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
No never did a sour... and not too versed on lambics, i did try one and i am not a sweet person.
I love lambics and flanders ales but can't stand Lindemann's. Those beers are heavily sweetened and they taste like they use flavorings instead of real fruit. Real lambics including Lindemanns Cuvée René Grand Cru are dry, tart/sour and funky. Not like the rest of the Lindenmanns line.

I think a real good candidate for a 6+ month brew is a good russian imperial stout. The 08-08-08 recipe was excellent and made an outstanding beer. This one will be great at 6months and continue to improve with age.

Craig

Old 03-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

CB i didnt think of that... I think an RIS would be a good idea. Thanks for mentioning a recipe, ill check it out. Oh, and I dont know if a mr beer is suitable for a 6 month ferment... i heard thats what people use them for after they go bigger... so not definite.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Rhemz
Recipes 

Check out Lord Fatbottom, from Northern Brewer

Quick Reply