Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what is this on the bottom of my brew pot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
drunde77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what is this on the bottom of my brew pot?

The other day I went and cleaned my brew pot with bar keepers friend. I thoroughly rinse the pot. And I let set for a week. when I came back and look at the pot I saw what you see in the picture. These are not chips but more less discoloration. this is a stainless steel brew kettle. Is there anyway to get rid of this or will this be an issue?

forumrunner_20121207_164539.jpg

forumrunner_20121207_164558.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Looks like the harsh cleanser pitted the surface to me. Try some PBW with a scotch brite "green" pad. If it isn't too deep,that should fix it.I used to polish commutators on elec motor armetures with the stuff.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 143

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say it's water deposits or something. They look like they're centered around the 'rings' at the bottom of the pot so maybe the deposits are nucleating from there.

Fermenting: Berliner Dunkelweisse; Schwarzbier
Aging: Deception 'Eggnog' Stout; Brett'd Old Ale; Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse; Flander's Red; Oud Bruin Rice Wine; Saffron Xmas Tripel; Heathered Scottish Ale 85/-; Rose Petal and Jaggery Dubbel
On Tap: Pumpkin Lambic; Southern English Brown Ale

Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Looks like the harsh cleanser pitted the surface to me. Try some PBW with a scotch brite "green" pad. If it isn't too deep,that should fix it.I used to polish commutators on elec motor armetures with the stuff.
Uh, yeah, I wouldn't be using that to clean a brew pot. Why?

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

To be water deposits,the pot would've had to have been simmered dry to get that pattern. Or nearly so,imo. The pattern is to heavy to just be water deposits from drying. I think it had to do with the cleanser reacting with the water used for cleaning,the metal,sitting to dry.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
drunde77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

today before i brewed I used some PB W and then I use some star san in my brew kettle. now my kettle looks great the spots went away.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It looks like it could be beer stone, which is mineral deposits left behind by the wort. Try a 15 minute acid soak with star san. If it is beer stone, it should clean up easily after the acid soak.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Forget all that cleaner going forward. Just fill your kettle with water and a scoop of scent-free oxy-clean (I get the Up and Up brand from Target). Let it soak overnight. The next day you can just about rinse everything out. Anything that sticks comes off with a kitchen brush with zero effort.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13
Forget all that cleaner going forward. Just fill your kettle with water and a scoop of scent-free oxy-clean (I get the Up and Up brand from Target). Let it soak overnight. The next day you can just about rinse everything out. Anything that sticks comes off with a kitchen brush with zero effort.
Yup. I do the same. The water comes out of my garage at 165 and works great with a little oxyclean. I run it through my counter flow and follow with clean hot water to rinse. Store my kettles upside down and they're always nice and clean.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
ajlee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I highly doubt it was the bar keepers friend, that stuff is specifically made to clean stuff like stainless steel (says so right on it). Nothing wrong with using oxy either, but I use bar keepers friend whenever I have a little scorched extract at the bottom of the pot and have never had an issue. You don't need to use a lot.

Quick Reply