Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is booster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Gasturbine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is booster?

Im ready to start mt 3rd Mr. Beer batch, and have a question...

On their web site, they have "Recipes", which include "Pouch Booster" and the HME.

They also have "Refills" which just have HME.

What is the difference? What does the booster do, and is it needed?

Thanks!

-Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've only done the 1 mr. beer recipe that came with it (booster + 1 can hme), but doesn't it say right on the booster package that it ups abv, body, and flavor?

I know it increases the abv less than that of another can of hme, lme, or dme (does lme/dme come in cans?). I'm only 3-4 days into primary fermenting, but I plan to compare what came with the kit (booster) with the same recipe using 2 cans to tell the difference in flavor/body and not just in abv...

Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

The booster is a type of sugar. It will leave your beer thin. It is cheaper than the HME, which is a better product (condensed wort-malted barley).
Do yourself a favor and skip the booster and get the HME. It's more expensive, but it's better. You could also just go to your local home brew store (LHBS) and buy liquid or dry extract (LME/DME).
Oh, wait, HME is pre hopped wort. You need an HME with a Mr Beer kit. It's the UME I was referring to.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

HME....Hybrid Malt Extract? Mixutre of Dry and Liquid? Pouch booster sounds like either a yeast nutrient or an alcohol booster. That's a good question.

Kegged:
On Tap: AHS Honey Hibiscus Wit
On Tap: AHS Lawnower Ale
On Tap: St. Boniface Black Current Stout
On Tap: AHS Viking IPA

On Wish List:

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
rodwha
Recipes 

UME is Unhopped Malt Extract, which is virtually what LME is. Dry Malt Extract (DME) is a dried version of malted barley extract.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

The sugar boosts the alcohol content. Without it (only the HME) you'll have something like a 3.4% beer. With it it will be something like 4.5%.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
rodwha
Recipes 

Booster is a pain to deal with too. It's hard to dissolve it well. Doesn't do well in warm/hot water.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

Hopped Malt Extract (HME) is what it stands for.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Gasturbine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Booster is a pain to deal with too. It's hard to dissolve it well. Doesn't do well in warm/hot water.
Indeed! I hate working with that stuff. Since I dont really care about ABV, and more about taste, I think Ill go with "refills".

-Chris

Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
a6ladd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Id sub the booster with DME/LME from the LHBS if you are shooting for a high abv. The DME/LME will give you some body as well as fermentable sugar and won't leave your beer too thin. You finished product will taste slightly maltier than something without the DME/LME added though because like another poster said those extracts are unhopped, unlike the extract that Mr. Beer sells.

Bottles: SMaSH Maris/Citra, Munich Dunkel, Independence Day Imperial Stout, Cascadian Dark Ale, Surly Bender Clone
Kegs: Empty
Primary: LFA Lime
Secondary: Bells Two Heated clone

The Canning Room Brewery

Quick Reply