New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is be best way to cool your wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Dude422
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is be best way to cool your wort?

I am a new guy, and I'm about to start my first brew. I was wondering though, what is the best way to cool your wort? I know using an immersion chiller would help, but I'm not ready to pick one of those up yet. Is cooling the pot in just ice and water the best(and only) way? should i add salt to that water(its how i chill beer really fast) or will adding salt affect the wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are you doing 5 gallon boils or are you boiling a smaller quantity and topping off?

Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you are keeping the ice and water outside of the pan then you can add salt to make it colder. It is feasible to use regular ice inside the wort, but keeping your ice sanitary can be difficult. For you, just use the kitchen sink, or better yet a large rubbermaid tub with ice and water. Stir slowly every few minutes or so.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
red999
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For my first 3 batches (partial boil) I did an ice bath along with putting store bought ice in the wort to cool it faster and it didn't cause any issues that ive seen so far. Two of those batches have been bottled and the other has been sitting in the primary for just shy of a month. I just put a couple pounds of ice in, stirred it, and it cooled down very quickly.

Primary:

Secondary:

Kegged:

UpNext:

Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
McDegga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The best advice I can give you is to use a put made of copper preferably, or Aluminum, both transfer heat far better than stainless steel. Stainless steel can slow down the cooling process by a huge factor. That's why in the refrigeration field coils are made of copper and not stainless steel. You are essentially looking to make a simple heat exchanger...

-E

Primary: Pipeline
Primary 2: Pipeline
Secondary: Empty as a pocket
Secondary 2: Empty as a pocket
Kegged 1: Todd (I saw the Lite)
Planned: Yet another Ed Wort's amazing Apfelwein
Kegged 2 Yummy Kolsch

Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

an 8lb bag of ice is 1 gallon of water. Dump that sucker in as one of your gallons of water in order to get to 5 gallons. Get you to pitchable temps as soon as the ice is melted.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
fshnne1
Recipes 

the best way i have found in a sink is to fill it up with the coldest water you have when that water gets warm empty and continue a couple of time the on final one fill with ice stirring during this process! I can bring down a boil from 200 to 80 in about 10 - 15 minutes then top off with cool water

Wife bought my setup 3 years ago for x- mas, back then just a bucket, spoon, and other misc. items. look at me now thanks hun!!

keg # 1 Cinn. Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
keg # 2 lemon hefe
Keg # 3 Irish Red
Primary # 1 Hefe
Primary # 2 Wit

Old 10-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshnne1 View Post
the best way i have found in a sink is to fill it up with the coldest water you have when that water gets warm empty and continue a couple of time the on final one fill with ice stirring during this process! I can bring down a boil from 200 to 80 in about 10 - 15 minutes then top off with cool water
That's what I do too, but it takes me a little longer because I am cheap and make sure to get every ounce of cold out of the water before draining it.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 10-18-2008, 02:58 AM   #9
Chip
Recipes 

I recently started using gallon jugs of spring water for my brewing. As such I get it the day before and put two gallons in the fridge and let them get really cold.

I brew with 2 gallons in the pot for the boiling and once done I put the pot in the sink with ice water around it. Once the bottom is warm ot the touch in goes the 2 gallons of cold water. It drops the temperature fast. I keep using ice and water in the sink ot cool the pot lower and add the room temperature fifth gallon to the primary as needed.

Next batch I wil try keeping all three extra gallons in the fridge to speed it down even further and keep an extra one handy at room temperature.

Primary - Orfy's Mild Ale
Secondary - Hard Cider
Bottled - my version of a simple English Mild

Old 10-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #10
Calvinfan1
Recipes 

Bite the bullet man, and buy the immersion coils.
The longer that wort sits out there, the better chance for contamination. Even if you cover it, you still got to check that temperature and if you stir it you are open for contamination.
I connected two stainless steel immersion coils, one that goes in the wort and one that goes into a bucket of ice water. The hose water is chilled through the coils in the ice water, then run through and out of the wort. I've done the ice baths....get the coils.

Quick Reply