what beer styles/yeasts ferment nicely at 75 to 80 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouth

Reaction score
hello!

i'm needing to brew a couple beers for a beer festival the first week of september. i have temperature control for one of the beers, but the second is going to (most likely) ferment at the temperature inside the house. my evening temperature in my house gets down to 69 degrees over the course of the evening, but gets up to 78 degrees during the day (regardless of what i keep the thermostat on).

are there any good beer styles and/or yeast strains that would still ferment nicely with temps ranging from about 70 to 78 degrees? will varying temps during fermentation negatively effect my beer?

thanks in advance.

cheers
j

Belgian and Trappist yeast strains do well, as do Saisons (even warmer than 75 for the Saison). I would try one of these.

It wouldn't hurt to spend some time at one of the vendor's websites who sell yeast, such as Austin Home Brew.

Find the yeast section and browse through it looking at fermentation temps. This will also give you the characteristics of the various strains.

I timed it perfectly...because after about 4 days of high heat, it has cooled off again. I wrapped a sleeping bag around it now.

Nice. I have (on loan) a 14 gallon blichmann conical that is just staring at me to do something with it, but there's no way I can temp control it. I'm hoping for a good San Diego July week to do its thing.

It wouldn't hurt to spend some time at one of the vendor's websites who sell yeast, such as Austin Home Brew.

Find the yeast section and browse through it looking at fermentation temps. This will also give you the characteristics of the various strains.

Or go directly to the sites. Their copy is all directly from the company.

That said, the ranges can be conservative in the literature. Some of them don't list for as high as they can be fermented.

Nice. I have (on loan) a 14 gallon blichmann conical that is just staring at me to do something with it, but there's no way I can temp control it. I'm hoping for a good San Diego July week to do its thing.

Well if anything, since I presume it is a metal conical, you could put a space heater beneath it and let the heat rise...Of course you in California may not know what a HEATER is. :D

FYI.

Waterproof_Electric_Heater.jpg

LOL :mug:

thanks for all the replies. i actually am brewing a saison for personal consumption this weekend, so i can actually leave that one out and get to brewing the IPA.

if the saison turns out well, i'll brew that one again for the festival!

thanks for the replys.

oh, and i realize i do need to study up on yeast strains more. i'm still in the dark about those things.

peace to all.
j

thanks for all the replies. i actually am brewing a saison for personal consumption this weekend, so i can actually leave that one out and get to brewing the IPA.

if the saison turns out well, i'll brew that one again for the festival!

thanks for the replys.

oh, and i realize i do need to study up on yeast strains more. i'm still in the dark about those things.

peace to all.
j

You'll get there. One step at a time!

If you are planning an ipa, you could do some digging and brew a Belgian IPA, or like stones Cali Belgique Ipa. It was awesome...combined the best of both styles...Hoppiness with Belgian spiciness and complexity.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA

When I bottle my saison in two more weeks, I plan either to pitch another saison on the cake, OR come up with a hybrid IPA recipe and do that and ferment hot again.

Beer advocate has a section on the Belgian IPA if you are interested.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/174

I think it will be worth it, I tasted my hydro sample yesterday, and it tasted just like, green uncarbonated Saison Dupont...

Can't wait til it's ready...Hopefully when it is, we will have some warm weather again. It looks to be a cool summer here.

Mmmmmm. green and uncarbonated.

I'm jealous. It's only been under 100* here like once in the last couple of weeks. My ac is on almost continuously.

Mmmmmm. green and uncarbonated.

I'm jealous. It's only been under 100* here like once in the last couple of weeks. My ac is on almost continuously.

I have to say that this beer is the first in the countless batches I have brewed that has tasted awesome green and flat.

SO you must be the master of hot weather brewing then? Or with the AC on do you really not have an issue?

Living in Michigan with four seasons, this is the first year that I have actively attempted to brew seasonally...I ghetto lagered in my apartment's garage in the winter, and have been brewing warmer temp beers this spring/early summer...trying not to breakl out the swamp cooler.

It is challenging.

California Ale Yeast works well in the upper 70's as well. I used it for a long time before i got a fermentation chamber, and had to brew within my comfort level.

SO you must be the master of hot weather brewing then? Or with the AC on do you really not have an issue?

No I'm not - I go the easy route and ferment in an old, yellow fridge in my garage. My first few brews inside even with the ac on tasted somewhat like :ban:. I still use the swamp bucket here and there, but mostly use it to help get my wort cooled. My hose water is 89-90 right now, so I use a CFC going to the bucket sitting in an ice bath.

I should learn more about seasonal brewing though... get back to the roots. :)

Back