HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are the basic steps and pitfalls in simple mashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default What are the basic steps and pitfalls in simple mashing?

I am fairly new to brewing, but making all grain batches intrigues me. I realize that I will have to start with partial grain, but I don't know much beyond crush the grains, steep in hot water for some period of time, and then sparge with hot water. Can someone set me straight on the basic steps please? Also, what is the purpose of these steps (in other words, what does it do to the grain)?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

www.howtobrew.com

This is probably the best reference material on the web and will answer those questions and more.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew
I am fairly new to brewing, but making all grain batches intrigues me. I realize that I will have to start with partial grain, but I don't know much beyond crush the grains, steep in hot water for some period of time, and then sparge with hot water. Can someone set me straight on the basic steps please? Also, what is the purpose of these steps (in other words, what does it do to the grain)?

Thanks

converts starch to sugar and if you are going grain go all grain. It is pretty easy.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew

Thanks
I'm new as well, and even though I should probabily be mashing as well because those are my favorite flavors.......its far too complicated to just jump into......

I've looked at this realistically and I can't honestly say that I would even attempt this without a couple years experience under my belt.......

Here are some things to just get your feet wet....

http://www.18000feet.com/minimash/page1.htm
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805

Basically, I cant explain the steps, step by step and why you do them but from the reading I have done your extracting the flavor and natural sugars from the grains so that you have a base before you add your extract and stuff.....

Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Mashing isn't that hard, really. It CAN be really complicated, but for most beers a single-infusion mash (just holding one temp for an hour), along with a batch sparge, gets the job done. You might not want to do it on the first batch, but no reason you can't start some mini-mashes fairly early on.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The stupid 'Beer at Brian's' videos currently mentioned in this forum, while not exactly 100% the best way to do things, do give a pretty good overview of the mashing process.

Don't take the process as the best way to do it, but if you watch it all as a good overview of what's involved in all grain brewing, it can be helpful.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Mashing isn't that hard, really. It CAN be really complicated, but for most beers a single-infusion mash (just holding one temp for an hour), along with a batch sparge, gets the job done. You might not want to do it on the first batch, but no reason you can't start some mini-mashes fairly early on.
Ok, complicated, I'll go with that.....

Old 11-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtman7
The stupid 'Beer at Brian's' videos currently mentioned in this forum, while not exactly 100% the best way to do things, do give a pretty good overview of the mashing process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgtnJwEktw

Don't take the process as the best way to do it, but if you watch it all as a good overview of what's involved in all grain brewing, it can be helpful.
Ouch, the dancing red-neck....

I wasn't going to go there........You had to do it.........

Old 11-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSlinger
Ok, complicated, I'll go with that.....
What is so complicated?

You put grains in.

Add water

Wait 60 minutes

drain water and add more water

Wait 10 minutes

drain

It is easy.

I think if you are going to buy parts to do a partial mash you should just do a full mash.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
What is so complicated?

You put grains in.

Add water

Wait 60 minutes

drain water and add more water

Wait 10 minutes

drain

It is easy.

I think if you are going to buy parts to do a partial mash you should just do a full mash.
Well, its more complicated then anything i've done.......but like I said, I'm still just starting......

Quick Reply