Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wet yeast fears

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
scrapes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default wet yeast fears

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
This is the yeast from one of the oldest stout producing breweries in the world. It produces a slight hint of diacetyl, balanced by a light fruitiness and slight dry crispness. Great for Irish ales, stouts, porters, browns, reds and a very interesting pale ale.
Attenuation: 69-74%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

This is the yeast I'm using, haven't used a wet yeast before, didn't put much thought into it. Now doing the prebrew research I find there is some prep with liquid yeast. I checked my books, this site, and I can't find an answer to the proper prep before pitch.

The temp listed is that ambient air? Or fermenter barrel? I found on my first batch that the fermenter was 3-4 degrees warmer then ambient, 68 to 71 or so degrees. I'm thinking of fermenting this in the basement which is a few degrees cooler.

I was planning on brewing tomorrow but I get the impression my yeast won't be ready.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
scrapes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

apparently it was my terminology on the search just found a handy dandy pictorial thread, any other thoughts?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...pdated-340261/

Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Not beyond the fact that you should always make some form of a starter with liquid yeast. I recommend for any gravity beer, but typically folks say for beers above 1.040. Making a starter, besides growing enough yeast to ferment your beer, it also proves to you that the yeast is viable before you pitch. That way you won't hopefully be tempted to start an "is my yeast dead" thread. It gives you peace of mind.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

Yeah,I gotta find something to make my starters in for the WL029 ale/kolsh yeast I got in yesterday. They throw stuff out that looks like it's not being used. Dang,there went yeast washing jugs too. Need a quick fix. A 24 hour starter should br fine according to the white labs guy on youtube.

Quick Reply