Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Well, they say that, but . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Maybenaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Well, they say that, but . . .

We have a running gag in our family that goes, ". . . Well, they say that, but . . ." It started with a trip we took to Thailand with our son. Before we left I asked sonny-boy whether he contacted his credit card company to let them know he'd be using his credit card out of the country. His response: "Well, they say that you need to do that but I've never had my credit card declined over there." His credit card was declined the first time he tried to use it. And things went on like that from there.

I used to brew many years ago but I've forgotten a lot of what I learned, and didn't really know that much in any event. So my question as a re-newbie is this: What are some examples of things that you must, must, must do, and what are some things that "well, they say that" you must do but you can get away with not doing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 901 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 1974

Welcome to HBT and back to brewing!

Must do: clean and sanitize well, in that order

Can get away without doing: take gravity readings

Maybenaut Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Totally off topic but what kind of dog is that? We have one that's part beagle and part we-don't-know-what that looks very similar. Especially the red & white coloring.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 748

I'm probably going to catch hell from other members for this, but I'd say making a yeast starter. I've never used one on my bigger beers (doppelbocks, strong ales, etc.) and they've all fermented quickly and fully.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 901 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
I'm probably going to catch hell from other members for this, but I'd say making a yeast starter. I've never used one on my bigger beers (doppelbocks, strong ales, etc.) and they've all fermented quickly and fully.
Yes, I'll disagree with that. On my "must do" list is yeast/fermentation management. Nothing (except cleaning and sanitizing) matters as much in making good beer. This includes:

1) pitching happy and healthy yeast in sufficient quantity - that can be done by pitching multiple vials, making yeast starters or using dry yeast; this is one of the very best reasons to use dry yeast, in my opinion

2) making sure the wort is oxygenated, by pouring through a screen, or rocking back and forth, adding pure O2

3) manage fermentation temps - low 60s for clean yeast profiles for many ales
Maybenaut Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Yes, I'll disagree with that. On my "must do" list is yeast/fermentation management. Nothing (except cleaning and sanitizing) matters as much in making good beer. This includes:

1) pitching happy and healthy yeast in sufficient quantity - that can be done by pitching multiple vials, making yeast starters or using dry yeast; this is one of the very best reasons to use dry yeast, in my opinion

2) making sure the wort is oxygenated, by pouring through a screen, or rocking back and forth, adding pure O2

3) manage fermentation temps - low 60s for clean yeast profiles for many ales
Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be mistaken as saying, "yeah whatever, just throw the yeast in there and everything will be fine." I do #1 to the extent of making sure my yeast is properly rehydrated, pitching at the proper temps, and using extra yeast for high OG readings, and I follow #2 & 3 every time. But as far as making a starter ahead of time, some people do it religiously for every batch. I never have and don't think I've suffered for it. Could just be that my stuff tastes like crap and no-one's been polite enough to tell me though.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Never ever ever ferment in your wifes closet. While it might be perfect temp to ferment in one little beer explosion and the bed gets a whole lot colder

Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Maybenaut

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwash View Post
Totally off topic but what kind of dog is that? We have one that's part beagle and part we-don't-know-what that looks very similar. Especially the red & white coloring.
We don't know with 100% certainty, but we *think* he's a beagle-jack russell mix. We got him at the pound about five years ago; animal control had picked him up as a stray, so they didn't know anything about him. We think he's part jack russell because we have a friend who has a full jack russell that looks almost identical except with shorter ears, more white than red, and none of the hound ticking that our dog has on his forelegs (and is a little smaller). Our dog also has a lot of the personality traits of a jack russell. He's the best dog in the history of the universe.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybenaut View Post
What are some examples of things that you must, must, must do, and what are some things that "well, they say that" you must do but you can get away with not doing?
Must, must, must do: Clean, clean, clean (cold side).
"Well, they say that": Clean, clean, clean (hot side).

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 495 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Since you brewed a long time ago and now you're just getting back into it, you probably don't know that you don't need to rack to secondary anymore. Beer yeasts have greatly improved and there is little risk of autolysis in the volumes that homebrewers produce.

Quick Reply