Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Weird tasting bottled water... effect on brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Drustanos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weird tasting bottled water... effect on brew?

I bought a bunch of 500ml bottled water to use to bottle my beer (ghetto, I know), and I used 8 litres of the water to brew some pale ale (brew house extract kit).

This water should be just fine, but I opened one of these today and it tastes weird. Hard to describe, but something like a stale refridgerator.

The brand is nestle and it says the water comes from hope springs, bc (which isnt too far away from where I live). The salt content is listed as 87 PPM. Is this maybe what I taste?

Just want to know if anyone has run into this problem and any speculations on what it will do to my beer.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

I've had nestle bottled water and thought it tasted good. I also use bottled water in my brewing and it works fine. I could not tell you why your tastes funnny. Probably nothing.

What kind of plastic is the water in?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some brands add crap to the water to get a certain taste. Like Dasani, for one. I hate it, just give me water.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
DOGBOY
Recipes 

Remmember,most bottled water is just bottled tap water,also there aren't any quality controlls in place,like inspections for municapal water,which are checked daily. There arent any use by dates on it either,bottled water lasts about 90-120 days if stored properly,if it is old and left in warm or hot sun it can grow stuff you cant see.I installed a
dual filter system under the sink(about 78.00)bucks andmy water is safe and tastes great

Old 01-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
salzar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

actually most bottle water is tap water treated with reverse osmosis. Pretty much after RO it doesn't matter the source, you get nearly pure water out. They add minerals cause pure water is bad for your teeth and is acidic. You need somthing in your water.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
salzar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A standard block filter will not lower the TDS of the water. And I doubt the abilty for them to degrade chloramines. Reverse osmosis can.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
Drustanos
Recipes 

Quote:
actually most bottle water is tap water treated with reverse osmosis.
I think in this case it's just natural spring water, as the label says.

The label states 45 PPM of Bicarbonate, 19 PPM Calcium, 8 PPM Chlorine, with the rest being too low for me to care.

Must just be the minerals and crap I am tasting, so hopefully this is better than from the tap.

Next time I will use reverse osmosis water.

Quick Reply