New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Weird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
pitt100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weird

I just opened a Northern Brewer cream ale extract I bottled one week ago. I have to admit it is my favorite from my first 3 brews--and it's only a week old! I knew what I was brewing when I started-I wanted a lawnmower beer and it's dead on. 15 IBUs. But what got me was when I was boiling it with Mt Hood (60min) and willamette (1min) boy my garage sure reeked of hops! I thought oh no I over did it. But 4 weeks afterwards there is hardly a hop aroma/taste. Where did it go? I was expecting a little more when I got my nose in there. I guess what I'm saying is I hit what I was looking for but thought I had screwed up and made it way hoppier at boiltime. I guess a few weeks really mellows out the hopiness. Sure tastes different than the Hop Devils I've had since I brewed this one. It's going to be a great summer brew if it makes it that long ( I doubt it). Sorry for rambling but I actually experienced something with this brew that I hadn't with the previous ones I made.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled and waiting: Hop Attack in a Bottle (1st AG)
Bottled & Drinking: Litterbox English Brown Ale, Late Night Raspberry Wheat & Stubborn Cream Ale
Gone: SuperSteelers Irish Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds great! Congrats!

Old 04-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Alembic
Recipes 

Default similar experience

I had a similar experience with a beer I made a couple months ago. I used 2 oz. of chinook hops for the bittering. About two weeks after bottling it had a very intense bitter taste on the back of my tongue. I was concerned that is was almost too astringent. Now, just a few weeks after that the intense bitterness has mellowed considerably and now it seems just right.

It makes me wonder how those insanely hopped beers out there keep their intensity over time.

Quick Reply