Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wedding Brew Ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
DeuceK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wedding Brew Ideas?

I know there are quite a few threads on brewing beer for weddings, but I just need a little input. My sister is getting married in early November of this year and I'd like to bring some homebrew to the rehearsal dinner and reception. I know I can come up with some nifty names, labels, etc. but I'm just wondering what style of beer would be best for this type of occasion. I just started homebrewing and have 2 - 5 gal batches under my belt: a Cherry Wheat extract kit from Midwest (currently bottle conditioning) and EdWort's Apfelwein fermenting as of 6/9/09. I'm thinking of using the Apfelwein (should be nice and tasty by November!) and one other beer, but I don't know what. Any suggestions???

I plan to keg both for the wedding and also bottle some as a gift with some nice labels in a crate or something as well.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Ewalk02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got married a little while back and brewed up 10 gallons of pale ale and 5 gallons of stout. The stout was gone even before I was done with pictures and the pale ale was cashed about 1 hour later. The wedding was a late October wedding so the situation is similiar to yours.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
atwaterville
Recipes 

I brewed 2 batches of 5 gal home brew for my buddy's wedding in May. One batch is an IPA which was well received by all the guys. The other batch is a blonde which most gals loved. 10 gal of beer were completely consumed in two hours. I would have brewed more, maybe 20 gal, if I could by I didn't have enough fermenters and kegs at the time.

This combination turned out to be a good compromise to fulfill all types of beer drinkers at the wedding.

Keg 1: DIPA
Keg 2: empty
Keg 3: oatmeal stout
Keg 4: empty
On Deck: Irish Red

Old 06-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a buddy's wedding to go to next weekend! I ended up brewing 10 gallons of Bee Cave Hause Pale ale and then another 10 gallons of SWMBO slayer.

My best advice is make a schedule and stick to it. Plus try to space it out if you can. I can only brew 5 gallon batches so I did two 5 gallon batches in one day which got kind of stressful and wasn't my normal routine.

oh and try to to stress out about it too much like me

Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm pretty interested in this myself. I'm getting married in October and was thinking about doing a batch of homebrew for it. We're actually going to be using Duvel for the guy's toast and champagne for the girls, but having a decent brew for the guests would be awesome. I was leaning towards a saison, but think a more common style might be better considering most of the guest probably wouldn't know anything about decent beer.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
gator_brewer
Recipes 

I"m actually setting up to make a couple different ones for my sister's wedding. Ask the bride and groom their favorite types and make that... for that time of year and OktoberFest or a spiced christmas style beer and a pale ale combo seems like a good mix.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Subscribed! I am actually getting married in October myself. Building up a keg freezer over the next couple of weeks. Here in Arizona, its still warm during the day and not too cool at night... but I think my lineup may be something like:

1) IPA
2) Stout
3) Orange Hefe
4) Apfelwein
5) ESB

Those are the top thoughts... new to brewing, so some of those may be a little tough for me to learn to do in the next 4 months?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i would definitely recommend something like a kolsch, blonde, or cream ale. they will appeal to a wide array of people. and then you can compliment it with something a little off the beaten path that will appeal to those who dig good beer (not that the previously mentioned ones aren't good). also, i would recommend having some BMC on hand so those who think they'll go blind drinking homebrew can suck on something.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
i would definitely recommend something like a kolsch, blonde, or cream ale. they will appeal to a wide array of people. and then you can compliment it with something a little off the beaten path that will appeal to those who dig good beer (not that the previously mentioned ones aren't good). also, i would recommend having some BMC on hand so those who think they'll go blind drinking homebrew can suck on something.
Haha, yeah.. I was thinking a Kolsch actually, and a blonde is pretty high on the list too. Good suggestion!

And yeah, BMC... Unfortunately, I will have some of that there =/

Old 06-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Seems like i always bring this up in wedding brew threads, but never the less it needs to be pointed out.

Make sure you are legally allowed/able to serve a home made alcoholic beverage at the wedding rehearsal/reception venue. I was going to brew for my reception last year, but was told that it was not allowed and that a licensed bartender would not be allowed to serve it.

So just double check that before you get to far into the planning/brewing.

"Retail is for suckers."

Quick Reply