Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Ways to Siphon Your Beer (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ways-siphon-your-beer-166304/)

mikebiewer 03-04-2010 02:29 AM

Ways to Siphon Your Beer
 
I know there are many ways to do this, but when I first started brewing I did it manually. After I realized that was a huge pain in the butt, I moved on to carboy cap. That didn't turn out as well as I liked so I moved on to the auto siphon.

For $10 I solved my problem and minimize the amount of time my beer is exposed to the possibility of being infected.

Some of the new brewers may walk the same path so I decided to make an article that goes through all the ways I tried siphoning and what worked and didn't work.

How to Siphon Beer

What methods do you guys use?

tom777 03-04-2010 02:33 AM

after my first batch and a rather painful first attempt to siphon, I purchased an autosiphon.

marubozo 03-04-2010 02:43 AM

An auto siphon was probably 10 of the best dollars I spent :mug:

eelpout 03-04-2010 12:22 PM

Ah yes, I love the autosiphon. Just wish they would make a stainless version or atleast out of a plastic that dont crack and leak after a few months.

beergears 03-04-2010 12:32 PM

A method that is not talked about much is the turkey baster...
I adopted it recently. I had doubts, and could not believe how well it worked, given its simplicity.

Pat_13 03-04-2010 02:28 PM

I use the carboy cap and CO2.

I didn't see that you have tried them all...I have also seen where you add a "T" in the middle of your racking hose with a short piece of hose attached, pinch the hose that goes into the receiving vessel, suck on the "T" hose you added, when the liquid starts release the hose to the receiving vessel and pinch the hose you just sucked on, done.

pinkfloyd4ever 03-04-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat_13 (Post 1923445)
I have also seen where you add a "T" in the middle of your racking hose with a short piece of hose attached, pinch the hose that goes into the receiving vessel, suck on the "T" hose you added, when the liquid starts release the hose to the receiving vessel and pinch the hose you just sucked on, done.

YESSSS flyguy's t-siphon, I can't believe it took that long for someone to say it http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/flyg...osiphon-25774/

Also, the carboy cap method worked well for me when I tried it, but I do it the opposite way the OP does. I put the cap on the empty carboy I'm racking to, stick a cane in the vertical hole and suck on the angled hole to get it going. That way you're not blowing bacteria & crap from your mouth into your beer. I didn't have a problem with losing the siphon at all

malkore 03-04-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eelpout (Post 1923178)
Ah yes, I love the autosiphon. Just wish they would make a stainless version or atleast out of a plastic that dont crack and leak after a few months.

I must be abnormal. My autosiphon is about 12 years old and going strong.

pinkfloyd4ever 03-04-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malkore (Post 1924642)
I must be abnormal. My autosiphon is about 12 years old and going strong.

I had one break after using it once, and no I wasn't beating the hell out of it. The inside cane part snapped a few inches from the bottom while i was cleaning it.

PolishLogic 03-04-2010 11:50 PM

The autosiphon came with my kit. Can't imagine doing it any other way.:)


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.