Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ways to mellow a "grapefruity" IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #11
Hopsie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
I don't think the grapefruit flavor came from dry-hopping. Dry hopping gives you aroma. What was your hop schedule?
But as was already stated, let this one age for a while then give it another try! I'm sure it will be drinkable.
I do realize that it may not be dry hopping at all. Keep in mind this batch is the second time I've ever brewed, so I'm still in the learning stages. Since it was a Dogfish Head IPA clone that calls for continuous hopping, I threw in a hop pellet or two about every minute or so according to the recipe(I divided all the hop varieties and weighed them before I started).

Since I couldn't do a full boil, I was worried that adding all the malt extact from the beginning would cut the IBU in half(hop utilization...still don't quite understand it all). So I added 2 lbs of LME at the start and the last 4lbs of LME the final 15min. I'm wondering if modifying that step might have given me a better balance of malt vs. hops.

Thanks to all for the advice. I wish I could buy you all a beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey man, i am in EXACTLY the same boat! I brewed a Demon IPA (6.66% ABV) using Simcoe and Amarillo, dry hopped with Cascade for 2 weeks. It is PUNGENT!!! I know it has potential from the initial taste but the hop massacre afterwards just kills me!

Time heals everything.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Grapefruit flavor comes from a citrusy american C hop added during the boil, not from malt additions or dry hopping. I am drinking an IPA now that I based on Ed's Stone IPA clone recipe, but I used all centennial. It tastes like sweet grapefruit, and I absolutely love it. If that's not what you're looking for, try brewing it again with something not so citrusy. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

It will probably be best after 3 months. My first batch of 3CPA took that long.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd count Amarillo among the 'C' hops for being citrusy. My all Amarillo IPA is very grapefruity.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
knuckleball
Recipes 

In my experience, the grapefruit will eventually mellow into citrus over the next 3-4 weeks.

Some love the grapefruit, I do not. I do, however, relish the citrus, if you know what I mean.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
I don't think the grapefruit flavor came from dry-hopping. Dry hopping gives you aroma. What was your hop schedule?
But as was already stated, let this one age for a while then give it another try! I'm sure it will be drinkable.
Dry hopping will add flavor & aroma. If over done (too long) it will be grassy tasting. When the aroma is strong it really impacts flavor. Pinch your nose and take a swig of a good hoppy beer if you don't believe me.

Late additions, say at the last 5 minutes, will add tons of long term flavor more so than dry hopping. The latter dissipates with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I dry hopped for 26 days...definite flavor in there...

OP, why not blend it in a pitcher with a sweeter beer before serving?
I disagree with blending this. Hold off and taste it again with a little bit of age. If you like spicy foods pop one open with chili, tacos, anything Tex-Mex or Thai.

Sometimes the mood you are in will effect the taste too. Also give this beer a good pour in a large pint glass, so you get a good head. Pour down the side 2/3 of the way then straight up! Should get a two-finger head. This will let out alot of CO2 which can change the taste a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleball View Post
In my experience, the grapefruit will eventually mellow into citrus over the next 3-4 weeks.

Some love the grapefruit, I do not. I do, however, relish the citrus, if you know what I mean.
+1 to this. The beer will grow on you. Let it sit. Go buy a few good micros and another beer kit.

You will kick yourself if you drink 1/2 of this batch before you realize its GD awesome!

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply