*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ways to keep fermentor warm during winter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Default Ways to keep fermentor warm during winter

So, who uses what to keep their fermentors warm during the winter months? I'm in Cali so it isn't that long of a period but it does get sort of cold (around 40s) at night so slowly but surely my chest freezer I use for a fermentation box drops in temp. I have a heat pad I have thrown in there but it doesn't warm it up that quickly. If it's cold outside it might just stay about the same temp if it's on all night or might rise one degree F.
Anyways, looking for cheaper suggestions if possible but open to ideas in general.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I have an insulated box rather than a chest freezer but it should be about the same. I just use an small, old space heater that was lying around. It has 5 degree increments for temperature from 50-75. I put a little thermometer in the box and it turned that when I set it on 65, the box stays at a perfect 62 degrees. Everytime I open the lid, it always reads 62 so I'm happy with it.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just made one of these last night: brewstands.com - fermentation heater. The only difference I did was to drill the hole for the cord through the paint can lid as then I could use the knock-out on the pancake box and it also lets a tiny bit of light out (so I know it is on or off). One final note on this...I first put a 100 watt light in it, but felt it was getting way too hot...I measured the paint can @ 150 degrees (and then shut it off). With a 60 watt bulb it gets to 120 degrees or so, which seems just about right.

I also wired up one of the ebay digital controllers: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. These little things are nice, I like it so much I just ordered another one to use in a keezer build (instead of using a Johnson Analog controller I have). If you are just doing cooling, you can find single stage models for around $16-17. (I ordered the dual stage "just because" it is only $8 more and provides better flexibility.)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2054 Times on 1794 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

I don't have anything like that-yet. So I have an electric oil heater in the room. I always have a dark tee shirt over the FV's when in use. If it gets really cold,I even throw an old fleece lined CPO over the fermenter as well. Ican hold it at a steady 68F (20C) this time of year.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
smokeyfisherman
Recipes 

I got my buckets in a plastic tote ($10 @ Walmart) and an adjustable aquarium heater ($30 at petco)... I plan on insulating the tote this weekend to make it more consistant. Fill the tote up just above the 4 gallon mark on your buckets and your good to go. So far each morning afternoon and night when i check the temp its pretty consistant.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I just hug my fermenter when its cold. Seems to do the trick.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I stole my wife's hair dryer a couple winters ago and plugged it into my (Ranco) temperature controller then set it to the heating cycle and desired temperature. The bonus is it has a low setting and it adds convection.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The simple solution is to brew a lager I do like copyrights idea and the aquarim heater. I might give one of them a try

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You can buy "FermWrap" by the foot at - The Bean Farm , connect an AC cord and a dimmer switch then dial in your temperature. I use an AC voltmeter in my enclosure which allows me to calibrate my temp to voltage. You could also use the digital controller above (STC-1000) to control the FermWrap...I have 2 controllers, one for my cool ferm chamber (Restless Cellars - Photos) and another for my FermWrap when I need heat.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
HolyKrausenBatman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'm just down the road in Irvine and have had good success with a brew belt. I wanted a ferm wrap but the timing didn't work out. I have it plugged into a digital temp controller and inside my unplugged mini-fridge. It's been holding steady at 68 for a couple of weeks now in my garage. The investment up front is a little more than some of the other ideas, but it's pretty much worry free. Just check the controller each time I get in the car and twittle my thumbs waiting for my brew to be done.

Quick Reply