Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Way to go "Family Dollar" Oxi Wash and Pet Better Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Way to go "Family Dollar" Oxi Wash and Pet Better Bottles

I have to admit when a fellow on here told me he never has to brush or spray his carboys/Better Bottles because he fills the with scalding tap water after bottling and generic Oxi Clean I was a little skeptical after my last fiasco with my glass carboy and PBW which I thought left behind stuck on hops flakes and I brushed and brush, but they turned out to be imperfections in the glass.

Long story short: tonight I bottled Northern Brewer's cream ale from my 6 gal PET carboy and had some nasty scum behind, especially the krusen on then neck. I put in four scoops and filled with super hot tap water. The bubbling actions has cleared everything up just two hours in.

I was really afraid of the Better Bottles since you couldn't brush them. From now on, unless I ever do something with bacteria or like a cock ale with meet (and you know I will eventually ) my two Better Bottles are my go to fermenters. It was really nice just being able to pick it up and take it to the kitchen without a Brew Hauler or all that extra weight from the glass.

I tell you another thing the Oxi Wash did. I made my swamp coolers out of dish pans also from Family Dollar. I had draped a tee shirt over the carboy to wick water. On a couple of occasions when an ashtray wasn't handy I through a cigarette butt in the swamp cooler which wicked nicotine stains into the old shirt. I just wanted to clean up the old shirt and dish pan and I put in a scope and warm water. Stains came right out and if the shirt wasn't wore out it would be ready to wear. It has never been a brighter white. That's pretty amazing stuff if you ask me.

Que The Monkeys' "I'm a Believer"

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Rather than fill the carboy all the way, I just hit it about half way and then flip it upside down into a small pail to soak the top.......dunno your scoop size but 4 sounds like quite a bit of oxy!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Heineken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I as at the dollar tree last night and saw what I think was generic of Oxi clean. It was called Oxi something, advertised no chlorine but I wasn't sure whether it was really the same thing. It wasn't a real big amount but probably good for a dollar. any one else try the dollar tree version of Oxi Clean?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
.......dunno your scoop size but 4 sounds like quite a bit of oxy!
+1 I use OxyClean from Sams Club and use about 1/8 of a scoop per six gallons. IIRC, the scoop is 2 oz, so I use about .25 oz.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

SWMBO picked up some from the Dollar Tree. Active ingredients are sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate, same as oxiclean. I haven't used it yet, but yes, it is the same stuff.

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

The generic brand at WalMart (if you can find the fragrance-free version) is also the same. Good stuff.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've had less than stellar results with most of the generic oxy products....they don't seem to have the same fizzyness as the real version...and therefore I find that I tend to use MORE of the cheap stuff, which then negates the cost effectiveness....

When at all possible, I'd rather buy in bulk the oxyclean, like through Sam's club. I'll buy the other brands in a pinch...but usually regret that I did...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5367 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I honestly never knew how amazing oxiclean was until I found these forums. I don't know why I never tried it, but I could have used this stuff for years on so many things. From removing bottle labels to cleaning equipment, it's a lazy man's dream.

Not to mention cleaning virtually everything in the house with it. Made my old patio furniture look like new. I love it times eleventy billion.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I've had good luck with the generic "Sun" brand (forget exactly what the product is called), but it's difficult to find the unscented variety. (And a big tub of real OxiClean Free is only a little over $7 anyway.)

Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

My Sam's doesn't carry the Oxiclean versatile free . Only the perfumed one with the little blue crystals So i have been getting it at Wallyword

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply