Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Water sucked back into fermenter!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
lovebrewin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Water sucked back into fermenter!

Has anyone had the airlock water suck back into the fermenter when taking a gravity reading???
I cracked the tap on my fermenter to pour brew into tube to do gravity and a little bit of water sucked back in due to the negative pressure when the tap opened!!!
Infection?????
Water in airlock was boiled

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your fermenting bucket has a spigot?? Most people use starsan or vodka in their airlock so cooties can't thrive, get yourself a wine thief so you can open your fermenting vessel and pull a sample then close it right back up. If your water was boiled you should be ok.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
lovebrewin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeh mate my fermenter sure does have a spigot... I think the starsan is a good idea hey might give that a crack next time!! Hope it's ok from being infected.
P.S what's with the cooties part man?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You should be good, the process is very forgivable.... "cooties" it's a grade school or middle school thing we used to say here in the states, kind of like you had something (infected) shesh kids?!?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Not that big of a deal. I had two batches in a row where I was cold crashing and got suck back, one of them was from a blow off tube and it put a decent amount of star san into the beer. Luckily, it settled on top of the beer and I just racked from under it. About to taste the first batch where this happened later this week. I do the sanitized tinfoil now when crashing.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Yes, it happens. I always use Starsan or vodka.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Had StarSan suck back through a blow off tube when I had the bright idea of cold crashing. Almost pitched the beer but bottled it anyway after reading of others doing the same thing. I was still afraid I might get bottle bombs or at least gushers...

None of that happened and the beer was great!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts

When pulling my gravity readings, I remove the airlock for that. That way the suck back action doesn't take place. There is no reason you can't use a bottling bucket for fermenting, well there are some, but none such that it is a "you should never do it" sort of thing. I mean using a dirty striring device in cold wort? that is a "never do" but a lot of things - like glass v plastic are personal preferences.

Anyhow, use sanatizer or vodka from now on. You can get pressure changes with weather that will result in airlock fluid getting into you brew.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Franco
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrewin View Post
Has anyone had the airlock water suck back into the fermenter when taking a gravity reading???
I cracked the tap on my fermenter to pour brew into tube to do gravity and a little bit of water sucked back in due to the negative pressure when the tap opened!!!
Infection?????
Water in airlock boiled
This happens all the time in plastic bucket primaries. I usually yank the airlock before opening the lid, since even that pressure change can suck water back in. That being said, I've never had a problem with the little bit of water that gets in, but I started using star-san in my airlocks after the first time.

It also sounds like you're trying to ferment your beer in your bottling bucket - that's the bucket with the spigot. Be careful doing that in the future, since that spigot is a great space for the nasties to hide. On beer that's already fermented it's not such a big deal, but it can harbor infections that might take hold before your yeast does.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
lovebrewin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys!!! Much appreciated. I have a few things to try out by the looks of it. lol

Quick Reply