The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Water PH and adjustment question for belgian blond

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
xthestewx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water PH and adjustment question for belgian blond

So im looking to take another step toward making better beer and thought id take a look into adjusting my water profile,however i know very little about it. The next beer i plan to make will be a belgian style blond and im almost certain i need to lower my water PH and maybe make some adjustments. Below is the starting water profile and from what iv seen it doesn't seam to fit for the style. I was wondering if the 5.2 ph stabilizer would work for my water or how i could lower it? And any general ideas on adjusting the water to get closer to style?
thanks
Bicarbonates
Calcium
Chlorides
Magnesium
pH
Potassium
Sodium
Sulfates

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Skip the 5.2 stabilizer. It will add more sodium to your beer than you want and won't help mash pH at all. If you're brewing extract, you don't really need to adjust that water.

If you're brewing all grain, I plugged your numbers into EZ water calculator (which you should D/L) with Beirmuncher's Belgian Blonde recipe and came up with 2grams of calcium chloride(CaCl2) and 3ozs of acid malt in the mash and 2grams of CaCl2 in the boil kettle to get a pH of 5.44. On these type beers, I shoot for 50ppm of Ca+ from CaCl2 and a mash pH ~ 5.4 as measured with a calibrated pH meter. If pH is high, I adjust down with phosphoric acid, if low I adjust up with pickling lime.
Here's some good reading to help you along your way http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/bre...primer-198460/
Here's a screenshot of how it will look.

ETA: I clicked alkalinity when it shoud have been bicarb on the spreadsheet. It changed pH to 5.43 when fixed.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
xthestewx
Recipes 

RCCOLA,
thank you very much, that was very informative and i really appreciate the detailed answer and suggestions. that was exactly what i was looking for. thanks again

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthestewx View Post
RCCOLA,
thank you very much, that was very informative and i really appreciate the detailed answer and suggestions. that was exactly what i was looking for. thanks again
You're very welcome and good luck with your brew.

Quick Reply