Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > water for partial boil brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
beerguy2009
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default water for partial boil brewing

Is it a good idea to boil and cool the water that will be added to the wort after brewing to get rid of contaminants or is it a waste of time? Also should I use campden tablets if I use filtered water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's kind of a mixed bag because if you boil it, you will be killing off any bugs but you will also drive off the oxygen. No need for campden tablets with filtered water. When I used to do partial boils I added bottled spring water. For $2-3 it was worth the piece of mind.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
mrmekon
Recipes 

What I've heard is city water is safe, well water should be sterilized.

What I've done is used tons of water straight from the tap without boiling in all of my brews. (and I have city water).

Bottled :

Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
GSM
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've started using the sprayer from teh faucet right into the ale pale to fill it up to 5 gallons. Can't think of a better way to oxygenate the water then that.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
BlackBearForge
Recipes 

Since I live on top of one of the nations finest aquifers it seems a shame not to use it as it comes out of my tap pretty much free with just as bit of chlorine in it. I mix up five gallons with a crushed campden tablet before brewing, some for the partial boil and the rest in the fermenter. Like they say, if your tap water tastes good, I say use it.

What I would like to do one day is make a beer with water directly from one of the local springs but I haven't figured out how I would collect it (a full boil of course!).

Quick Reply