Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Water-to-grain ratio question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Water-to-grain ratio question

If I'm steeping specialty grains (full extract) or mashing grains (BIAB partial mash), how does the water-to-grain ratio affect the final product? I do full boil 5 gallon batches, and it is easier for me to steep in more water due to the size of my pot and desire to get the grains fully saturated. Would using more water than the 1.5 quarts per pound of grains that I've seen on here change the outcome? How so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Steeping ratio isn't really important. Mashing ratio is more important, but less important than many people think. The traditional mash ratio is 1 to 1.5 quarts per lb. Traditional German mashes are usually thinner, maybe 1.75 qts/lb. One problem with a thin mash is that you have less sparge water. But is this really a problem? The Australian BIAB method calls for mashing with all of your brewing water - mash and sparge at once. One consideration is the size of your mash tun. If your tun is small then you simply may not have room for a thinner mash.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Don't steep in full boil volume, at least I would not go over a gallon per pound and most would say go less. You will extract tannins.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Since I do partial boil/partial mash biab,I use 2 gallons of water for 5-6lbs of grains. I sparge with 1.5 gallons for a boil volume of 3.5 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle. That's as much as I can do & have a little room for the hot break. So at this point when steeping,I'm in the habit of using the same water to grist ratios as mashing. but a gallon or two for steeping grains is ok,since they're already converted & you're just sokaing out the sugars already in them.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
Don't steep in full boil volume, at least I would not go over a gallon per pound and most would say go less. You will extract tannins.
Why would this extract tannins? You wouldn't be sparging the grain and the temperature would be the same throughout the steep. Ph?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Water doesn't know if it's mashing, steeping or sparging. It's all the same thing basicly. A steep too thin is the same as over-sparging. pH will get out of hand.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
Why would this extract tannins? You wouldn't be sparging the grain and the temperature would be the same throughout the steep. Ph?
Agree with this. Tannin extraction is a factor of pH and temperature. The amount of water would not have any effect.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Temperature is not really much of a deal. I boil decoctions and never get much astringency from it. I did steep a pound in over six gallons and it was pucker city.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Correct Malticulous doing decoctions you boil but that is why you boil the thickest part of the mash. With steeping temp plays a hand in pH getting out of control as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Malticulous
Recipes 

With decotions you boil the thick to save enzymes, then boil the thin for mash out once your done with the enzymes. There is certainly husk in the thin mash, at least the way I pull it.

Quick Reply